x

Just introducing myself

Hey everybody!
I have a face painting business (and body) in the Los Angeles area. I’m located in Santa Clarita Valley, but travel to Ventura County, Palmdale/Lancaster, and most areas of LA. I work at festivals, fairs, private parties, corporate events, school events, grand openings, city events, studios, and basically any public event that would like to draw a crowd. Advertising a face painter at your event definitely brings in the crowds! It’s a type of entertainment that just make people happy! Yes, face and body painting IS REALLY a career when you’re a professional at this craft. People seem to ask “what’s your real job though?” THIS IS MY REAL JOB! When you’re a professional at this, you’re not just someone that decides one day that you’re going to buy some face paints at Hobby Lobby and make a few extra dollars. Professional face painters are highly trained artists. I even have a degree in art. We travel to conventions and workshops all over the world, participate in jams, carry insurance, and most importantly…..we don’t use those cheap so-called “face paints” that you find in your local stores. Those literally ARE paint and contain lead, which have caused many severe reactions to kids skin….not to mention the glitter in your local stores are made from METAL. You can imagine what happens when that accidentally gets in a kid’s eye. Professional face painters use FDA approved-for-skin, cosmetic-grade, hypoallergenic makeup AND glitters. These are super expensive and can only be purchased online directly from the manufacturers. So if you think you’ve found a “bargain face painter” at $50 an hour for your event…. think again. Professional career face painters all charge a minimum of $100 an hour. Typically somewhere between $125-$150 an hour. You really do get what you pay for in this case. So next time you see a face painter and ask “what’s your real job? Please know that that kind of stings. We invest a lot of time and money in this form of entertainment. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Welcome to the group, @LAFacePaintier! Do you have a website or Instagram with photos of your work? I'd love to see pics if you do! 😊👨‍🎨

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 2 of 13

Hi Elizabeth, 

My website is Facepaintingbylinda.com and my Instagram is facepaintingbylinda C3D15AB9-17C4-461E-A567-64DFB1C62DBA.jpeg

Message 3 of 13

No I'm just getting started 

Message 4 of 13

052AC6AC-4733-4B7E-AD9B-BBF88A985430.jpeg

53EF97AA-B189-4BC5-B6CB-BCD8354751B0.jpeg

Message 5 of 13
Admin

Gorgeous work, @LAFacePaintier!!! 😍 Thanks so much for sharing!

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 6 of 13

hello, I'm Nicole and I am also a Face Painter. I own Busy Bee's Arty Party in the Pittsburgh area. and I completely agree with everything you said. Yes, this is my "real" job and I love every second of it.

Message 7 of 13

Right??!!! That question gets old!  It’s the best job in the world! 

Message 8 of 13

BTW… did you go to FABAIC? OMG! It was amazing!!!

Message 9 of 13

Unfortunately it wasn’t in the budget this year. I would love to go. I did get to join the international facepaint schools 4th online summit this year. That was pretty amazing so I could only imagine how great an in person event is. Maybe next time. 

Message 10 of 13
Super Seller

I love this!!! You can tell you put a lot of time and care into your business - just with the ingredients alone!

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 11 of 13

Hey there.  Just joined the group.  Glad to see there is another face painter on here.

Haggling about pricing is the most annoying thing I deal with...and finding artists to work under my name with the same passion that I do!  I'm Merry Heart Entertainment in DFW Texas

Message 12 of 13

Hi! 
I know what you mean when it comes to people wanting to haggle on your rate. I never give in though, and 99.9% of the time, they end up coming back to me. I always just tell them we were out of work for nearly 2 years with the pandemic and our supplies have gone up as well, so no discounts or “exposure work”. That one always gets me! I tell them if I needed “exposure” I wouldn’t always be booked up….plus I can’t pay my rent with “exposure”. 🙄

Message 13 of 13