x

Best way to set up simple payment form

I'm new to Square and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the various options and APIs that don't seem to get me what I want, though several seem close.

I would like to basically replicate with Square what I had in the past with Paypal.   We created a very simple form on our website that had a form field for the customer to enter their account number.  There was then a table where the customer could enter up to 4 invoice numbers and their corresponding amounts (from paper or emailed invoices they had already received).  There was then a submit button that posted that information to Paypal, the customer entered their payment information on this Paypal hosted page (still branded with our name and logo) and then when submitted was redirected to either a success or a failure page hosted back on our website.  Obviously the goal is to have the process be as consistent and transparent looking as we can without any of the customer's personal information and/or payment information being actually input on our website (and all of the PCI compliance and security considerations that then involves).   

For what it's worth I guess I'm kind of asking for two recommendations as in the short term I need to accomplish this integration on our existing PHP website.   We will be migrating to a Wordpress site later in the year, so a recommendation on replicating the same thing in Wordpress is also welcome.

Essentially this is just a way for a handful of our customers to pay by credit card who don't want to give their card number over the phone.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for posting, @mcisar

This may be a feature request, but do you happen to have a screenshot of the form you were using, or is the previous site still live? It may help us, and other sellers get a better idea of the end goal you are looking to achieve. 

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide. 😊

Message 2 of 4

Hi @BernadetteA

Accidentally cut my logo off of the top (same as any picture I've ever taken with a camera, LOL) but here you go.

mcisar_0-1713973623620.png

The user enters their account number, one or more invoice number/amount pairs in the blanks and clicks submit.  That is then sent off to the Paypal hosted payment page or checkout or whatever you'd like to call it where the amounts have been totalled and they are given the option to log into Paypal or to pay by credit/debit card...  payment is processed and then the Paypal page subsequently returns them to one of three status pages on our site (user cancelled, payment success or payment fail).   There was a time if I recall where the payment page was branded with our company name and logo (which would be preferred for consistency of experience) but just running through the process now it does appear that the current payment page is very Paypal branding heavy.  Now whether that is because I have not re-written under their most current API I don't know.

I suppose from a coding standpoint it's much like a shopping cart that I'm pre-populating from the customer's form input. 

In a perfect world it would be nice if at least a small degree of branding could be injected into the square-hosted payment collection bits (company name, logo ??)  At the same time it would be nice to be able to avoid actual terms like "cart" and "checkout" in the actual customer facing process (maybe "invoice summary" and "payment" respectively) to more accurately represent though I suspect that latter degree of customization would be less likely as it would only be used by very few.

MIke

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Thanks, Mike! Based on the screenshot, this would definitely be a feature request which you can submit through our Ideate boards here

It's possible there may be something in the Square App Marketplace that may have similar features, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm going to keep looking around, though to see if I can find anything that may work for you. 

Message 4 of 4