x

Can you connect both the Square Terminal and an iPad to a cash drawer and receipt printer?

Can you have both the square terminal as well as the iPad with the cash drawer and the receipt connected together 

Message 1 of 55
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Katcookie

This type of configuration won't work with the internal printer built into the Square Terminal, but perhaps connecting an Ethernet printer and printer driven cash drawer to both your iPad and Terminal is your best option.

You'll just need to plug the LAN cable in an internet router and create printer stations in-app on both your devices. As long as your iPad and your Terminal are connected to the same network, your printer will communicate via a wifi signal. Learn how to set up a printer station here

I hope this helps!

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 55
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @crystal-meadow.

Thanks for reaching out! As of right now, there isn't a way for the Square Terminal to function as the reader, while the app is processing the sale on the iPad. I can see how this would be beneficial though, so I'll make sure to pass this suggestion along to the appropriate team that already has visibility into Community threads.

Thanks again for taking the time to post about this feature request, and how you would find it beneficial. This is really great insight for us when we look into developing feature requests. 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Beta Member

I also just purchased a square stand and terminal thinking I could use it for distancing, in its current format itโ€™s useless to me, will this ever be implemented or will I have to return it?

Message 43 of 55
Beta Member

I was informed recently that itโ€™s not part of the plan.  Itโ€™s very unfortunate because although Square is an awesome app, you would think that the much higher interests would include these type of options

Message 44 of 55
Beta Member

Sigh...still no clarity around whether or if the suggestion around having a tablet being able to connect with the Square Terminal is even being considered and still my Square Terminal sits in a box doing nothing that I paid ยฃ240 for. Farcical, especially since I posted again a couple of months ago and still have heard nothing.

Message 45 of 55

Is there any update to the topic of connecting a Square Terminal to an iPad as the "customer facing reader"? I just received it last night then found this thread... only to see that what I thought "should" be simple enough to work - doesn't. I'd rather not return the device but in its current state it does me no good.

When using this on a food truck, you want to have the terminal out front for the customer to pay, while taking the orders on an iPad, using a square stand and printing to a bluetooth printer in the truck for "tickets"...

Message 46 of 55
Beta Member

I'm definitely in the same boat. I have a physical store and it is extremely inconvenient to have to get my customers to enter their pin on my ipad screen as it is bolted to our counter. I know there is the square register, but I use my ipad because I can also use along side my own personal system which the register wouldn't be compatible with. Because I have a website as well which I sell on (not squarespace) I cannot just transfer my system or stock list to square, not unless I want to start from scratch, which I'm sorry, but I'm not doing.

To use the terminal which I was planning on buying today as a card reader for the app is something essential for todays situation, so that it can be used just to display totals and enter in pins.

Having now learned that this function isn't available (though I assumed it would be) I won't be purchasing the terminal now, but hope this function will be implemented soon Wix! We've been asking for it for over a year now according to the dates on this thread!

Wix please respond

Message 47 of 55

Can we use the terminal instead of the thing that comes with the stand 

Message 48 of 55

Hi guys! Actually this is doable - connecting Square Terminal to your tablet or laptop. Just login to your squareup account on your tablet and go to Virtual Terminal. From there, pair your Terminal device to your tablet, enter the generated code onto your terminal. After device is paired, you can enter payment on your tablet and have the transaction send to your terminal for customer to complete the transaction by using their credit card. Hope that make sense... 

Message 49 of 55
Beta Member

This may be true, but are you able to use the POS? A virtual terminal is to merely make a payment it doesn't allow for any POS functionality correct?

Message 50 of 55

It depends on what you need from the POS. It can also connect to a cash drawer if needed. It works for me for my food truck. I just need it to process credit or debit card transactions without touching the same device with customers. You can also see your items in the library on the virtual terminal if you don't have too many items/ services. If you're using square for retail or restaurant, I understand how it might not work for you. 

Message 51 of 55
Beta Member

Please can someone at Square see if this in development. In this COVID world, having the terminal connecting to the Square stand as a customer facing option is SO needed. I have found a partial workaround, by ringing up items with barcode reader on Square Stand, and saving it as a ticket. Get the customer to open the ticket on the Square terminal and do the payment there

Message 52 of 55
Beta Member

We're in the same situation, wishing we could use the terminal with the stand. We can make them work together with the workarounds that have been suggested (connecting them through the virtual terminal or using tickets) but neither is efficient. I appreciate that development timelines are hard to predict but I am also curious to see if this is being considered and/or in development.

Message 53 of 55

Square what we want is a wireless customer  display that can take all the payment. (Like the one on the black square register)  that will connect to mobile square terminal unit. 

Message 54 of 55

Wow, I just burnt a whole day. Mickey effin Mouse. It seriously makes no sense.

So I can use Virtual Terminal, which is freaky cumbersome to build an order and send the charge to the square terminal but I can't use the restaurant app to do the same? Wow!

Message 55 of 55