x
Beta Member

Items Categories import and Item creation advice

I have just read the following article:
"Categories - The category information from your Square account does not continuously sync. However, categories can be imported one time from Square to Square Online (and will need to be managed separately thereafter) from your Square Online Overview page > Items > Categories."

I have set up my categories in Square Online. Is it possible to import the categories from there to Square? It would save me a lot of time!

Also  is it better to create items in Square and add more photos in Square online afterwards? Or is it better to create the item in Square Online and update stock in Square afterwards?

Message 1 of 3
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @Forginthecraft - the categories won't sync at all so it's a case of creating them in the Square dash as well (you can add items to them 'on mass' when creating the category rather than having to go into each item though).

You can set items up in either dash, but I prefer to use the online side. It has more options - while these don't copy over to the POS side it does mean I'm not having to go in a & change stuff again. 

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @Forginthecraft - the categories won't sync at all so it's a case of creating them in the Square dash as well (you can add items to them 'on mass' when creating the category rather than having to go into each item though).

You can set items up in either dash, but I prefer to use the online side. It has more options - while these don't copy over to the POS side it does mean I'm not having to go in a & change stuff again. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Thank you for that @Sam_400º 
I have created all my categories in both sides now. I have noticed that in dash you can only assign one category anyway,... On the online side I have subcategories as well which I can't see how you can set these up on dash... I have assigned a category to each item because at the minute I don't have that many items that I can't do it like that. But as I could only assign one, I'll go through the categories as well and see if I can add all relevant items for each category. 
A bit of a long winded process especially as i don't actually use the POS at the minute... I might see the benefit once I can do more in person as opposed to online trade,... 

Message 3 of 3