x
Highlighted

No Apple Pay on checkout links?

I just signed up to square after seeing the checkout links allowing customers to pay by Apple Pay. I was planning to only use this as a payment method to suit my business. 

I tested the the checkout link yesterday and there is no Apple Pay when you click and open the checkout links, 4 friends didn’t get it either so no auto populate either. Support said customers have to open the links in safari which isn’t obvious how to do pls tell me this is frustrating for others and is there another way? 

Message 1 of 17
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: No Apple Pay on checkout links?

@Danielleaubrey it seems that facebooks browser doesn’t follow the protocol for ApplePay. 

This unfortunately isn’t something Square can do anything about as it’s the way FB handles the webpage. 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beta Member

Best Answer

@Danielleaubrey - if you go to your online dash & double check that you've got the option selected under checkout. 

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 00.07.38.png

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Beta Member

Best Answer

@Danielleaubrey - if you go to your online dash & double check that you've got the option selected under checkout. 

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 00.07.38.png

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
Highlighted

Yeah I have got it but square support said when someone opens your checkout link on an iPhone they won’t get the Apple option unless they click ‘open with’ and then click ‘safari’ which isn’t obvious to do see screenshots surely I’m not the only one saying this isn’t right? I’ve added screenshots 

4C0C09C9-19B7-45FB-8B3F-66ABEAB996B2.jpeg

584CCF15-C425-4367-A336-10007DEABFF2.jpeg

1587A67C-F111-4D34-986E-0DED6901E4A5.png

Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Beta Member

Message 4 of 17
Highlighted

I’ve copied the link and pasted it into Facebook messenger chats 

Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Beta Member

@Danielleaubrey it seems that facebooks browser doesn’t follow the protocol for ApplePay. 

This unfortunately isn’t something Square can do anything about as it’s the way FB handles the webpage. 

Message 6 of 17
Highlighted

Oh right ok I don’t know why square support didn’t tell me this. I just tried using Wats app and Apple Pay showed up. I don’t want to use Wats app or text as it gives customers my mobile number. If Facebook doesn’t work then what are the other ways to send a checkout link that will show Apple Pay? Is it on the roadmap to fix the Facebook issue? Thanks 

Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
Beta Member

@Danielleaubrey this is about the way the messenger app interacts with an iPhone - nothing to do with Square & nothing that they can change, so no road map for it to be on. 

When there is a checkout page with Apple Pay enabled it 'asks' the phone/device if Apple Pay is an option. It does this via the browser it's show in, & it looks like FB use their own browser within the app rather than the Safari engine, blocking this communication. (If you're a cynic you could think this is deliberate as FB also offer their things in messenger, or you could think it's just another way for them to control what you see & how (they were prosecuted recently for injecting ads via their browser into sites that were free of all ads - like injecting ads into the Dutch version of BBC news!)) 

Message 8 of 17
Highlighted

Apple Pay isn’t showing when clicked on google chrome (pasted the link into my website) or when clicked in an Instagram chat 

Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
Beta Member

@Danielleaubrey unfortunately the situation is just the same as before. This is the way the browser interacts with the Apple Pay system, not how it's implemented at the Square end. 

Message 10 of 17