x

Payment shows but no payment made

My Square account when I log in shows  2 payments of £1.00 but I haven’t presented a card or accepted any cash so how can this show.   I have set up reader but can’t work out how to make payments. 

Message 1 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey @TCkc, wishing you a warm welcome to the Seller Community! Happy to help you out. 

Do you know of anyone else that has access to your account, whether it be on the Square Point of Sale app or a computer? It's very possible that someone recorded a payment as Other or Cash accidentally. Although you may not have accepted Cash, the payment option is there for tracking purposes only. 

As for taking payments with the reader, follow the steps below to get started:

Accept Chip + PIN Payments

1. When your customer is ready to checkout:
  2. Make sure your card reader is connected with your device.
  3. Open the Square app, finalise your sale and then tap Charge. Note: If you’re using a mobile device, or your tablet is being used in portrait mode (vertically), tap Review Sale > Charge.
  4. Insert the chip and PIN card (chip-side first with the front of the card facing up) into the wide port on the top of your card reader and turn the device screen to the customer for PIN entry.
  5. Once PIN has been entered, make sure the customer has touched the blue tick button.
  6. When you see four green lights on the reader and a confirmation message in the app, the payment has successfully completed and you can remove the card. If the customer wants a digital receipt, they can enter their phone number or email address on the confirmation screen.

Accept Contactless Payments

1. When you’re ready to charge your customer:
  2. Make sure your card reader is connected with your device.
  3. Open the Square app, finalise your sale and then tap Charge. Note: If you’re using a mobile device, or your tablet is being used in portrait mode (vertically), tap Review Sale > Charge.
  4. When you see one green light on the card reader, it’s ready to take your customer’s payment. Ask your customer to hold their card or device over the card reader to complete the sale.
  5. When you see four green lights, hear a beep and see a confirmation in the Square app, the payment has successfully completed. Turn the confirmation screen to the customer if they want to receive a digital copy of the receipt.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else. I'd be happy to assist in anyway I can. 

Message 2 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content