x

why is scheduled delivery option happening in checkout?

Me again! Got my delivery days in as variations / options which seems to work brilliantly (don't want to be overrun with orders so I have set a max stock level on each delivery day) until I try and check out and then it offers customer the ability to schedule delivery. I don't want them to have this. I've turned it off everywhere, I think?!

Also is there any way of getting rid of the red writing that tells customer I'm 5-20 min away - I had to put something in this field but I will be arranging exact delivery time with them.

Thank you very much.

Liz

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Hey Liz, 

This could end up being another compromise unfortunately.... I don't use the local delivery option myself but as far as I can tell it's always a 'booked' delivery. 

You could revert to the 'shipping' option - but this would rely on your customers knowing your delivery radius. (I'm assuming most of your sales are from word-of-mouth & social media? This never caused me a problem in this situation when I was doing deliveries last year, before the local delivery stuff was available). 

I'll try & dig about to see if there is anything else I can see - but I'm sure there are a few better informed than me on it about! 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 12

Thanks for the reply... tried changing it to a service as someone suggested but now I just have an error message when adding to basket.

Spoke to a lovely lady at square this am and hopefully she will come back to me soon with a suggestion. I'm going crazy! Yes word of mouth only and I can't be committing to orders I can't fulfill (baking).. also don't want anyone outside my delivery postcode buying!

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller

With word of mouth & a simple note for delivery area I really donโ€™t think youโ€™ll have too much of a problem. 

Donโ€™t be worried of having to cancel an order though - if someone orders outside of your area then itโ€™s easy to cancel & a quick email to explain (it will have been them over eager for your gingerbread!). 

no system is going to be infallible, I still have regulars that never put their actual collection time in & always email after ๐Ÿ™ˆ 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Hi Liz @mrspiggybakes, you can definitely switch off the Allow scheduled deliveries by going to Pickup & Delivery > Edit location > Edit order timing settings.

With this off, customers will automatically be assigned a delivery time based on your prep time (how long it takes for the orders to be prepared) and opening hours. At the moment, there isn't a way to edit the time specified here or to change the message around how far you are away. 

Like @Sam_400ยบ suggests, you can switch to Shipping as well and maybe create a note or pop-up to let customers know about the delivery area. 

We're still working on adding more functionalities and features to the delivery option so I'll be sure to surface this feedback with our Product team.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

Similar headache to you Liz. I want to set the parameters for delivery, but it just defaults to my open hours. I want people to order anytime, but only get delivery at my specified time slots.

I think I'm losing customers because of the confusing delivery message they get at checkout.

Message 6 of 12
Super Seller

@BuenasBurritos Under setting, pick up & delivery (online dash) you can amend & have different times for pick up and set your delivery times accordingly. 

The prep time remains the same as for collection & then the delivery time is added on to that. 

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 21.15.41.png

Pizza Is Chill

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

Thanks 400

So here is what I did over weekend - 

I did a Black Friday special - advance orders only - then customer to choose from following delivery option - Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon between 6-9pm.

I tried setting the box you show to those parameters - but when I trialled it, it didnt work. When I set the parameters to the same your showing in box, it worked accept would then show delivery times plus prep time in the delivery quote at Checkout.

This is of course is useless as I only want to deliver to my customer on the said days and between 6-9pm. Hence, customers get to checkout and get confused as they see a different delivery time to what I advertise. I tried turning delivery option off but that doesnt work as just ends up marking the products as 'not available'.

Message 8 of 12
Super Seller

I have a prep time of 30 minutes, so I set my opening time 30 minutes before I actually open. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

Which is fine if you have  a regular schedule - where at present I dont. If your customers know your hours as an ongoing concern, I guess thats a whole lot easier. I did notice late in the day that the 'delivery' option was Beta. So I hope they sort the delivery issues fast as this is the one key area I need to work well

Message 10 of 12
Super Seller

@BuenasBurritos wrote:

Which is fine if you have  a regular schedule - where at present I dont. If your customers know your hours as an ongoing concern, I guess thats a whole lot easier. I did notice late in the day that the 'delivery' option was Beta. So I hope they sort the delivery issues fast as this is the one key area I need to work well

If you're working to a 'non-standard' then something that's worked for a lot of people is to use an item as the delivery slot. 

So set all your items to 'shipping' so you still get a delivery address - but nothing is scheduled at checkout. Then have an item that says 'Saturday 18th Delivery' & a drop down modifier (or better as a variation) as the time for the delivery. 

This way you can add extra days that you're open whenever you want, with them being clear. You can also limit the number of deliveries per time slot if using variations. 

Square has loads of features - but not everything & sometimes we need to think outside the box (or there is also a Square API if you wanted to get a developer to code your own site from scratch to work just how you want & then link in for payments)

Pizza Is Chill

Message 11 of 12
Beta Member

Ok this is actually worked! Your right, it does mean I have had to add a delivery modifier to every item. I have added to the modifier title 'Add a deliver time (only once if buying more items)'.

Even the cookie problem - 'error' message at checkout has ceased. So, not the ideal solution - there is the slight chance if customers select different delivery times on different items. Also unable to now set delivery radius, so will need to make this clear at the order page.

But thanks again 400

Message 12 of 12