x
Square

[New] Late Fees for Square Invoices

Hi Sellers! 👋

Based on your feedback, we are excited to introduce a new way to help you avoid late payments on invoices and protect your cash flow with Late Fees - available now for all Invoices sellers in the US and Canada.

With late fees, you’ll be able to set clear expectations with your customers around the penalty for paying an invoice late.

What is a late fee?

A late fee is an additional charge your customer needs to pay on top of the total amount owed on an invoice, if an invoice hasn’t been settled by the agreed upon due date. Late fees can either be a flat fee or a percent of the total invoice.

You will also have the option to add a grace period for late fees, which is a set number of days between the invoice due date and the date a late payment fee is added to the invoice.

Where can I add a late fee?

You’ll be able to include a late fee on:

• Estimates: Share your late fee policy when you send a quote, so you can set expectations before you’ve even created an invoice.

• Invoices: Customize late fee details, like when the late fee will kick in and the amount, for one-off and recurring invoices.

• Contracts: Include a late payment policy in your contracts, so you can protect yourself against disputes if an invoice isn’t paid on time.

How do you add a late fee?

You can set up a late fee when you create a new estimate or invoice.

To do so:

1. Click Late fee under the total amount.

2. Set the late fee amount, which can be a percentage or flat rate. 

3. Adjust the grace period for the fee.

You can also add a late fee to existing invoices.

To do so:

1. Click on an existing invoice.

2. Select the three dots and click Edit.

3. From here, follow the same steps as above.

You may remove late fees by clicking the X on the New invoice page, to the right of the late fee.

For more information on late fees and Invoices, check out these support articles:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

This is great, however, it would be better if it could be added to the template for invoices. That is have a set percentage that can be saved under a template with the contract and can be used multiple times. Let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

Message 2 of 14
Square

Hey @DR10. Yes it is possible, can add a late fee (either percent or set amount) to both your default template or any other custom invoice template you have.

Note, for now you'll need to add a line item to the template for the late fee option to show. But, based on recent feedback, we are working to make the late fee option always visible on templates so that it won't be necessary to have a line item on a template to add a late fee.

Hope that answers your question!

Message 3 of 14

would be beneficial for the late fee to be auto added after a set past due day and reminder sent to customer with new total.

Message 4 of 14
Square

Hey @Belowzero. If I am understanding your comment, this actually is how it works today.

You can add a grace period to your invoice, which is a specified number of days after the invoice is due before the late fee is applied to the total amount due.

Hope that answers your question!

Message 5 of 14

I dominantly work from the mobile application; this does not appear to be an option for my overdue invoices? (Also, checked on desktop and same issue encountered.) Unable to find troubleshooting.

Message 6 of 14
Square

Hey @PeggyGirl! You are able to add a late fee to an invoice that has already been sent to a customer and is past due. Note, that if you're invoice includes a payment schedule (invoice split up into multiple payments) then you're not able to add a late fee to that invoice.

Message 7 of 14

Can I send you a screenshot showing that I do not have the … or edit “Late Fees” option? Square is wonderful in application outside of this. 🙏🏼

Message 8 of 14
Square

@PeggyGirl sure! I just sent you a direct message about this.

Message 9 of 14

I recently started using the Late Fee option — in hopes it would make clients pay in a more timely manner.  But...

• I just had a client pay (via check) the invoice for the original/non-late fee amount.  
  • So I inputted the original amount and saw there was the few dollar late fee as a balance.  
  • I then tried to edit the invoice — and clicked the little trashcan icon to remove the late fee from the invoice.  
  • But, it would not let me save the invoice — and threw the following error "Invoice total must be at least $0.01 more than the $xxx.xx that your customer has already paid."

Please advise how I could simply waive the entire late fee.

Thank you. 

Message 10 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @ingenious_inc, I am happy to assist in any way I can, but I want to understand your inquiry a bit better. You are trying to waive the late fee on the original invoice that did not have a late fee on it at first? 

Message 11 of 14

Thank you, MAYAP.  The invoice *did* have a late fee — which would activate when the invoice was 30 days past the due date.  However, the client sent a check which was dated within the 30 day period, so I did not feel like it was worth haggling over — and figured I would just be nice and waive the late fee. 

Message 12 of 14

Hi @MayaP - Looping back on this.  Any thoughts / insights on getting this resolved.  I tried again today to simply trash the Late Fee, but still get the same error:
"Invoice total must be at least $0.01 more than the $xxx.xx that your customer has already paid."

Would it make sense to just cancel the invoice?

Message 13 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @ingenious_inc 

Looking into this case, yes, the only solution at this time would be to cancel the invoice. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to make these adjustments. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 14