We’ve received many requests for this feature and that’s not surprising since many restaurants need to control how orders move through their business from start to finish. One of the most important ways to control this flow is through routing specific POS orders to corresponding KDS stations (for example: drive-thru vs. counter pickup, stadiums routing kiosk, and sending order tickets from the bar area POS to the bar).
Set Up POS Routing
Set up your KDS to filter which POS devices (with Square Point of Sale and Square for Restaurants) to show incoming tickets.
- On the KDS app, tap Settings > Orders.
- Toggle on View Point of Sale Orders.
- Tap Edit next to receive orders from all points of sale.
- Select which points of sale send orders to this KDS station. You have the option to toggle on:
- Receive orders from all unnamed Square points of sale:
- Unnamed points of sale (SPOS only) cannot be individually identified by KDS. To route by a POS not listed, create a device code from your Square Dashboard. Tap Devices from your navigation drop down, then select POS Devices.
- Receive orders from all future named points of sale: If selected, all future named POS added at this location will send orders to this KDS.
- Select which POS sources you would like to send orders to your KDS.
- Tap Save.
Learn more about creating device codes with Square.
To filter for online orders on the KDS:
- Tap Settings > Orders and toggle on View online orders.
- Select from the following: Show online orders when they’re placed, Show online orders when marked in progress, and/or Show online orders based on pickup time.
- Select Edit to specify the amount of time tickets show up on the KDS before pickup time. The default setting is tickets will appear 30 seconds before pickup time.
Note: Filtering by POS source with Square KDS does not include filtering by online order source (i.e. Square Online vs. Deliverect.)
Learn more about Square KDS with these articles: