x
Admin

Do you play music at your business? ๐ŸŽถ

Hey Seller Community! Happy Wednesday โšก๏ธ

This week we're wondering...

Do you play music at your business? ๐ŸŽถ

If so, what kind? Do you use Apple Music or Spotify? Something else? What device do you play it off of? 

Can't wait to learn from you all ๐Ÿง 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 101
100 REPLIES 100

I changed my music recently from more current music and my alternative faves to 50s and 60s greatest hits all day and the customers love it, get comments everyday... Customers stay longer too I've noticed...use Spotify with a portable speaker

Message 85 of 101
Super Seller

YES! I was having some serious problems with it, however. I don't like playing music in my business that is crass or includes foul language, even if it isn't deemed a "bad" word. I have settled with the playlist on Apple music called The Lounge and it is awesome - its upbeat, acoustic, and clients love it

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 86 of 101
Beta Member

I am talking with my clients 90% of the day, so I prefer music without lyrics. My favorite is relaxing but upbeat Lo-fi! I personally use Spotify and will put a few songs that i like into a playlist and then use their "enhance" feature to build a bigger playlist!

Message 87 of 101

Because my business is Christian based, we play music streamed from Spotify or Youtube Music.

Message 88 of 101
Beta Member

I play Christian music all day, my customers love it. I play from You Tube and its free. I also have the radio on when im not using You Tube. I keep it on the promise station since that where i also advertise on.

Message 89 of 101
Beta Member

In my store, I find that playing soothing sounds makes shoppers more at ease!! Heavier music and they tend to shop faster and purchase less.  

Message 90 of 101

I work from home so it depends what I feel like

Message 91 of 101

Yes,we play upbeat relaxing music for our clients at the salon I work at..

Stefanie Mitchell
Message 92 of 101
Beta Member

I would be interested in hearing how many of the respondents are paying licensing fees for playing music in their stores.  My understanding is that services like Sirius XM, Pandora, and Apple music are licensed for personal use only.  

Owner
Giggle Monkey Toys
'We All Gotta Play!"
Message 93 of 101
Admin

That's correct, you would have to be using a service like Soundtrack your Brand for this. 

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 94 of 101
Super Seller

We were using Soundtrack Your Brand for quite a while and then about a year and a half ago we switched to Cloud Cover Music.  

Our understanding also is that you have to pay licensing fees to play music at a business establishment. So we wanted to make sure we were complying in that way.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 95 of 101
Super Seller

We use Rockbot, which includes a commercial license for all of the music in their catalog. It's not as robust as some of the others (Sirius, Pandora, etc.), but we've used it for 6 years and have dialed it in pretty well. Their license doesn't cover live music events, however, so in the past when we've been hosting more music events (DJs/live bands), we've had to secure separate licenses for that. 

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 96 of 101
Super Seller

We use HomePod minis, we subscribe to Apple Music. We have a playlist that shuffles Country and 80's music, during Christas we play traditional Christmas, Bing, Frank, Tony Mathis people seem to love it, because you can hear them singing.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 97 of 101
Super Seller

We use Cloud Cover Music.

It allows for licensing to play music in a public business and we have it installed on our iPad where our Square POS is to control stations to the streaming device.

We play a bunch of fun and upbeat playlists.  Coffee Shop playlists are often pretty good.  Also a playlist called Hipster BBQ.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 98 of 101
Super Seller

We just swapped to Soundtrack your Brand - owned by Spotify - a bit on the pricey side depending on how many zones you have - luckily we have one - but we wanted a legal for business play server so that we were paying artist fees fairly. I would say though that prior to this thread popping up we actually weren't aware that you couldn't use Spotify or other services in a business capacity, because I frequent so many establishments that allow staff to put their phone and personal playlists on (at salons, tattoo shops, coffee shops etc where music is part of the environment). I don't think many business owners have an awareness on this topic.

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 99 of 101
Admin

I agree! I think a lot of businesses aren't aware about the streaming regulations.

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 100 of 101
Super Seller

Absolutely ๐Ÿ’ฏ I play music all day long! I use Spotify the best of the 70s and 80s seems to be our crowd of customers.  I have a 1200sq ft building and it's so nice to see customers looking and shopping around and singing to the tunes! At least 10x a day I get asked what station are you listening to? It's uplifting and they enjoy it so they stay longer. It's a great thing on the weekends especially when I get group of ladies and friends that come in together. 

Message 101 of 101