x
Admin

How does your business handle Black Friday?โ€Œ ๐Ÿ‘€โ€Œ

Heyyyyy Seller Community! โœจTHE HOLIDAY SEASON IS HERE! 

Next week is Black Friday, in which many stores/businesses offer highly promoted sales. We're wondering how your business handles Black Friday!

Do you open early? Do you increase your staff? What kind of sales or promotions do you offer? 

black friday.gif

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

I remain open all the time. I also Offer discounts for private parties booked and offer 2 gifts instead of one for the hostess. 

Message 2 of 35
Beta Member

We don't do Black Friday, we have what we call Red Wednesday. We close early on Tuesday and go thru the entire store and mark down everything we can. Red Wednesday, we open earlier and close later than normal. Then we give our employees Thursday-Sunday off to enjoy how they want. 

Message 3 of 35
Beta Member

I adore this approach! What kind of business are you?

Message 4 of 35
Beta Member

We sell food and other stuff check us out kbetreatme.square.site

Message 5 of 35
Super Seller

I love this idea.  We might do it next year...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 6 of 35
Beta Member

We also stay closed. Our desire is to give our employees time with family and rest. We do reopen on Saturday though (Small Business Saturday is a hit in our community). 

Industry: Coffee Shop and Roastery. 16 Employees. Southwest Missouri. 

Message 7 of 35

Love the concept, also allows employees to take part of Black Friday sales if they choose

Message 8 of 35

We close and allow our technicians and staff a four-day weekend! ๐Ÿ˜

Message 9 of 35
Super Seller Alumni

We're online only - so open 24 hours anyway, but we're using Square's discount codes to offer coupon codes to shoppers for Black Friday!  We also used Square Online's stories to create a Holiday Gift Guide that we've been pushing on social media.

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 10 of 35
Super Seller Alumni

Great question, @isabelle !

We're seasonal and closed in the winter, but we do a nice long Holiday eGift Card sale from Thanksgiving through New Years. It's a great way to bring in some extra income during the winter months, even with the 10% discount that we give. We send out an Email Marketing campaign or two, and a bunch of social media posts over that month and a half time period, and it always works really well!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 11 of 35

We actually don't do anything for Black Friday. Our focus is on Small Business Saturday which is the BIGGEST day out of the year for us. We open early, stay open late, everyone works and we usually offer 20% off storewide so we can pass along the savings to our customers who love to support local, small businesses. Sometimes we offer grab n go breakfast items and I have been know to prepare mimosa's for customers to get the day started!

Message 12 of 35
Beta Member

We do Black Friday, but more of an emphasis on Small Business Saturday. We open an hour early and stay open later, and do lots of fun things. We partner with local coffee shops & bakeries to offer refreshments, have a Prize wheel that customers spin when they check out - they can win anything from free swag, discounts, gift cards etc., and do a big give-a-way for a $250 gift card for one lucky Loyalty program participant - every purchase thru the weekend earns an entry. AND, this year we are selling raffle tickets to a basket of items all contributed by local small businesses, and the proceeds go to providing an exceptional Christmas to a local struggling family. I am SO EXCITED to be able to showcase other small businesses in our area and give back to the community!

Message 13 of 35

We close by employee vote and avoid the insanity.

Message 14 of 35
Super Seller

Honestly I don't do any huge crazy savings.  I usually run sales throughout the year for online orders, and for Black Friday in particular , I  only offer a small discount off future bedliner/undercoating appointments that are booked and pre-paid.  Maybe I'm just greedy ๐Ÿ˜‚

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 15 of 35

We stay open and offer discounts for referrals

Message 16 of 35
Beta Member

We are online however, discounts will be given out on ALL orders on Black Friday.

Message 17 of 35
Super Seller

In the past I've run big newspaper ads with tons of discounted items and specials. That really didn't bring in as much new biz as I'd hope for, so the last several years I've only selected some items and offered discounts on those (mostly stock items with largest quantities available). This year I've run an ad in the local Coupon Clipper with an online discount, so I'm on the fence about offering much more beyond that. I think being a small boutique business my customers will shop anyway regardless of any great discounts; they understand as a small biz we can't give deals like a larger corporation can give.

Message 18 of 35

We run sales all day and open at 8:00 am rather than 10:00. It's one of our largest retail days of the year. Our customers really do support our small business and we are so thankful for that on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday as we always extend the sales over to the next day as well!

Amy Hibbs
Message 19 of 35

We're running discounts on all products...than we'll be doing sales all weekend and wheel spins for Cyber Monday

Message 20 of 35
Beta Member

We have always been closed on Black Friday so that our staff can spend additional time with family and friends after Thanksgiving.  We know we could do quite a bit of business on Black Friday but we donโ€™t care!  Our staff deserves paid time off.

Franco Salerno
Message 21 of 35