x
Admin

How is your business approaching mask guidance?

200w (2).gif

What are the new CDC mask recommendations?

On July 27, the CDC updated its indoor mask guidance, driven by the delta variant making up a majority of COVID-19 infections in the U.S. In areas with more than 50 new cases per 100,000 people in the past seven days — currently more than 60% of all U.S. counties — masks are now recommended, no matter a person’s vaccination status.

The CDC recommendations for outdoor settings have not changed, with fully vaccinated people not needing to wear a mask outside.

Are there new mask guidelines for restaurants, retail, and other industries that are re-opening indoors?

The CDC has not made changes to its mask recommendations for workplaces and businesses. While indoors, the CDC still recommends that employees and customers wear masks as much as possible, including at restaurants and bars when not eating or drinking.

However, some local governments have implemented new mandates in recent weeks. In Los Angeles county, masks are required indoors no matter your vaccination status except when you are ...

• actively eating or drinking in a specific location (table or counter).
  • alone in a separate room or office.
  • showering or swimming.
  • performing or receiving personal hygiene or personal care services that cannot be done without removing your mask.

What options do businesses have moving forward? Can you require masks and vaccinations?

These new CDC guidelines do not come with penalties, though business owners should know their options while navigating the latest changes in policies across the country. In places with indoor mask mandates such as Los Angeles and St. Louis, businesses risk facing citations, fines or more serious penalties if they do not enforce those rules with employees and customers. 

Even if a state has banned mask mandates for federal workers, private businesses hold the right to require their own employees to wear masks, as well as any customers who enter the business. Here are some ways to help make your customers feel comfortable.

The CDC also recommends a few best practices for managing employees during this time, including:

• Offer flexible, non-punitive sick leave options for employees experiencing side effects after vaccination.
  • Allow time for vaccine confidence to grow and provide support (such as paid leave and transportation assistance) when employees decide to get the vaccine.

Additional information can be found here

This post is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal, employment, or health advice. For specific advice applicable to your business, please contact a professional.

We want to hear from YOU and your business on how you're approaching mask guidance. Please share below! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

We take the pandemic very seriously but we also do not pretend to think we know what is best for our client's or employees health. We are not doctors, we are photographers. We believe individual Americans in concert with their doctors are the only ones who can properly judge matters that concern an individuals health risks.

We neither recommend nor discourage clients and employees to wear masks and we absolutely do not shame people for their choice one way or the other. 

With respect to our employees. We highly encourage our staff to talk to their doctors about what is the best choice for them. If they are part time and do not have health benefits through us, we will be reimbursing them for a doctors visit so they can make a fully informed decision about what is best for them. 

We have cleaning materials, hand sanitizer and masks on hand for every individual who chooses to use them. 

Message 22 of 31

Love your explanation.  All of our independent business owners have been fully vaccinated in our 1200 square foot space, we seldom have more than 1 client at a time in our private spaces.  We have each determined for us, no mask is appropriate.  We do feel each person has to assess their own risk and act accordingly.  Mask or don't mask, it's your choice.   

Message 23 of 31

All of our independent practitioner s are vaccinated.  We have been open for 15 months with NO contact cases, with and without masks.  I know the perils of COVID and those who did not choose to vaccinate and that choice is their choice.  I believe in choosing what you feel is the best for you and your family, choices sometimes have consequences...not meant to sound cold.  But just because most accidents are caused by new drivers do we all need to be put on high risk insurance?  no.  will teens die because of It, yes likely every single day and there is nothing we can do but inform them.  Our customers are Wellcome to mask..or not mask.  If you feel unsafe, please postpone your visit until another time because with or without masks you are at risk and just wearing a mask will not prevent exposure.   100% guarantee is to stay home where It is safe.  Don't go out.  Soon It will be flu season, will everyone mask then too?  It's each person's choice, and it's a personal choice that I should not make for them.  I chose to vaccinate and won't force you to. 

Message 24 of 31

Our employees began wearing masks again. We leave it up to the customer to decide. Many put them on when they see us. Our county is seeing a big spike in cases.

Message 25 of 31
Beta Member

Will not enforce a masking policy. It's unconstitutional, and eroding our personal freedoms. I'm not a Covid denier, or anti-vaxer, but I am pro-choice. I believe everyone has the right to their own informed decision, and I will respect and treat people equally if they wear a mask, or not. When the "science" changes on a weekly basis, as does guidelines, it's impossible to maintain a  consistent business practice.

Message 26 of 31

How is masking during a pandemic unconstitutional? I haven't heard of any court case that decided this.

Message 27 of 31

I think they are only saying it’s their body & their choice.  I totally agree if a business wants to mandate masks it’s their call.  Customers will go where they feel welcome to spend their money. If you opted to get vaccinated and someone else did not opt to, it’s difficult for some to understand why they should protect a person who won’t act to protect themselves.  That’s all.

Message 28 of 31
Beta Member

If you depend on the courts to tell you what is and isn't constitutional, you probably haven't read the constitution. Funny how everyone was all for mask and vax mandates, but then abortion rights? My body my choice all over again. Can't have it both ways. Either your body is your sovereign right, or not. 

Message 29 of 31

We are in a rural area and can't deal with the vitriolic anti maskers anymore. So we put up our "masks appreciated" sign and let the customers do what they want. We still have indoor dining available as well as outdoor and plenty of ventilation. We are requiring our employees to mask while indoors otherwise we wouldn't be able to stay open if one of them tested positive. Which just happened today. Thankfully we started this policy last Monday just before the CDC recommended masking indoors and are able to keep the bakery open while this person quarantines.

Message 30 of 31
Super Seller

I currently run 100% online... So it's up to the customer if they feel the need to wear a mask while browsing the website 😅

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 31 of 31