x
Admin

What books have helped you run your business? ๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“–

Hey sellers!

There are so many business books out there, but as a business owner it's hard to find good ones that would be relevant to your needs.

So today we're asking:

What business books have helped you run your business?

We'd love to hear what books have inspired you and given solid strategies to help you run your businesses.

• What books helped you the most?
  • What elements of these books resonated with you?
  • What are some key strategies that you found and used in your business?

It could be about any aspect of your business: starting up, management, marketing, leadership, hiring & training, product creation, or anything else!

Here are some that have been recommended to me (that I haven't read yet): 

Looking forward to seeing what you've found helpful!

Pesso

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 48
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

SRBC_Square-Readers-Book-Club-Banner-Orange-Double.png

Hey Square Readers!

Thank you all for sharing your favorite business books.

I'm so excited to announce that weโ€™re bringing a brand new group to the Square Seller Community, the Square Readers Book Club, and weโ€™d love to have you join.

You can read all about it on our Introduction post, but here's the most important info:

Weโ€™ll pick one book every two months to read and chat about together in this Community Group full of sellers like you. Weโ€™ll share some extra resources and content from the author and cap it off with a live Google Meet video chat. And of course, weโ€™ll post a full summary with key insights and takeaways from each book.

Weโ€™re voting on all of the books we read, so head over to help pick our first one

The first book will be announced and weโ€™ll start things off on April 3rd.

Join the Square Readers Book Club Group

We canโ€™t wait to read with you!

Pesso

-----

@Poochesnpals @mksavage @LexiLynn @BRCWPR @RSutter @OurCupCakery @jemes @Desert_Deli 

View Best Answer >

Message 34 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Super Seller

Traction  

Message 22 of 48

Company of One was a favorite of mine while I was getting my LLC set up this summer!

Message 23 of 48
Admin

So great to hear, @RSutter - thanks for sharing!

What about this book helped you with that?

Message 24 of 48
Beta Member

Profit First by Mike Michalowicz helped me so much! There is also an audio book!

Message 25 of 48
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @LexiLynn !

What about this book helped you?
I'd love to hear more!

Message 26 of 48

Yes, and it's free on YouTube. I connected with Mike on Twitter in 2020; he sent me ten copies to give away and one autographed book, and I gave them to small business owners. 

Message 27 of 48
Admin

That's amazing, @BRCWPR - thanks for sharing!

Are there any pieces of information from the book that stand out and helped you the most?

Message 28 of 48

The entire book has been beneficial. It's a tried and true method applied to business. 

Message 29 of 48
Super Seller

Oooohhh, this is a great question and I'm creating a reading list from all the recommendations!

Two books that I'm currently in the middle of that have both been really enlightening are Radical Candor and The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership. They are both about different aspects of leadership in general, not necessarily limited to small businesses. In the five years of running our brick-and-mortar, I have found the people/leadership side of running a business to be the most challenging, emotionally-draining, and where I most often feel out of my depth. These books have been providing a lot of tools and context for that side of business ownership. Still a LOT to learn.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 30 of 48
Admin

Thanks so much for sharing, @mksavage ! I'm definitely adding them all to my list too.

I love the idea of using general leadership books here too -- management is absolutely a really tough part of owning a business, especially with today's labor situation. Thank you again!!

Message 31 of 48
Super Seller

I agree @Pesso and @mksavage we are using some of the Radical Candor curriculum right now and also are reading Sarah Schulman's 2014 book Conflict is not Abuse. I agree - there is a LOT to learn.

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 32 of 48

www.tanyaellis.com 

My 2 business books :

Pet Grooming is Like Mountain climbing- How to overcome your hugest obstacles

Opening a Pet grooming Salon- 10 steps to success

Tanya E Ellis
Message 33 of 48
Admin

Best Answer

SRBC_Square-Readers-Book-Club-Banner-Orange-Double.png

Hey Square Readers!

Thank you all for sharing your favorite business books.

I'm so excited to announce that weโ€™re bringing a brand new group to the Square Seller Community, the Square Readers Book Club, and weโ€™d love to have you join.

You can read all about it on our Introduction post, but here's the most important info:

Weโ€™ll pick one book every two months to read and chat about together in this Community Group full of sellers like you. Weโ€™ll share some extra resources and content from the author and cap it off with a live Google Meet video chat. And of course, weโ€™ll post a full summary with key insights and takeaways from each book.

Weโ€™re voting on all of the books we read, so head over to help pick our first one

The first book will be announced and weโ€™ll start things off on April 3rd.

Join the Square Readers Book Club Group

We canโ€™t wait to read with you!

Pesso

-----

@Poochesnpals @mksavage @LexiLynn @BRCWPR @RSutter @OurCupCakery @jemes @Desert_Deli 

Message 34 of 48

How to Win friends and Influence People has always been an important book to me

Message 35 of 48
Beta Member

The E-Myth is really good

Joshua D Ferguson
Message 36 of 48

Unmarketing by Scott Stratten. Itโ€™s a bit dated(mentions Twitter a lot) but otherwise a brilliant book!

Message 37 of 48

TractionTraction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman

Gave me several tools to bring our business up to par.

Making Sweet Memories
Message 38 of 48
Super Seller

Profit First, The 12 week year both are great books that have changed the way I do business.  Fix it next is a good one too. 

Rusty Sutton
The Green Monkey LLC
www.greenmonkeyraleigh.com
FB: greenmonkeyraleigh
IG: greenmonkeyraleigh
Twitter: @greenmonkeyshop
Message 39 of 48

When I started working at my first bigger salon company, they had us read Raving Fans. This book showed me that going above and beyond for clients really helps them feel like your place of business is almost personalized to them and keeps them coming back. Now at a hourly, under paid salon job where I was bring the business thousands of dollars and only getting paid maybe an eighth of that, I didn't see the point. But now that I'm running my own show, I totally understand. You go above and beyond for your clients and they will come back every time. I try and re-read portions of Raving Fans semi regularly to keep that in mind. 

Also being a bit more shy, the book How To Talk To Anyone has been a big help to me as well. Being able to fully engage with clients who I seemingly have nothing in common with also really helps me. Even if they don't come back because of our lack of in-common-ness, I always want people to feel comfortable in my chair and being able to talk and communicate the entire visit is a way to do that. 

Message 40 of 48
Admin

Thank for sharing those book recommendations @Starsinhearts. I'm going to look up both of them! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 41 of 48

Hello, heres a really great gem for ya! Kikoff is a great downloadable app to download for your phone and build credit and invest into courses that are $18 or less. I purchased the seo and marketing course for $18 total and paid $2 a month until paidoff. So worth it. Courses of all genres available for you.

Message 42 of 48