x
Admin

What's one thing about your industry that you know now, that you wish you knew when you started out?

Hey Seller Community 🍒

Each industry has unique advantages, quirks, and challenges. Today we're hoping to learn from you all..

What's one thing about your industry that you know now, that you wish you knew when you started out? 

Reply below! 😊💕

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Super Seller

Ouch...this one brings up a lot of memories. This isn't exactly industry specific - but I think in general the lesson I had to learn was that you need to advocate for yourself, be who you are, and always trust your gut without thinking you have to go it alone. A community like this is what I have tried to create for our mentorship program so that young makers are supported as they start out and navigate business formation and operations.

I am turning 46 this year and have been working in the ceramic/pottery industry since I was 23. I started out working for 12 years in a ceramic supply business (selling tools, kilns, glazes, clay, etc) - I was underpaid - worked for an abusive boss who didn't know the materials/technical/practical side of ceramics really at all but I was spellbound by the business and was designated to take over the business by her. I fell into a trap of being a trusting hard-working person and I stayed in that position too long and believed promises I shouldn't have. So my first lesson was to learn to trust my gut.

Then I went out on my own and for 6 years running my own ceramic supply business as a competitor to my former workplace. I started with a small investment and a lot of credit cards (don't do that folks!). I had been backed by larger companies that believed in my knowledge base and command of the materials and practical side of ceramics who set me up with distributorship lines and we were successful for a short time.

The hard lesson I had to learn is that the business world at large is filled with people of all different beliefs and backgrounds. As our business picked up and we grew larger I wasn't able to retain enough of a cash reserve to weather the volatility of the rebounding economy after the 2008/2009 economic crisis. We were in a weakened position having reinvested everything into bettering our store lines and heavy inventory investments. My former boss began a campaign that included calling suppliers and asking them if they wanted an LGBTQ+ person (she didn't word it that nicely of course) selling their products and suddenly operations started to get difficult for us. And, because I was bootstrapping and living order to order paycheck to paycheck, I couldn't navigate hurdles being put up like larger ordering requirements, less friendly payment terms, etc. Some of the suppliers that supported me told me what was happening a long time after it started and the hardest lesson I learned which I can share now was that I should have been head-on confrontational about this. I should have advocated for myself and my business. At the time, I gave in, and didn't know what to do. I didn't have mentors or business friends to trust like this Square Community. I tunneled into hurt feelings and shame about who I was and eventually we decided to let the retail side of our operation go and focus solely on our studio, MudFire where we can share the knowledge and practical side of ceramics which has turned out to be the very best decision.

I am so proud of who and what we are now and that we are able to interact with over 200 makers including those in our mentorship/residency program which is far more fulfilling to me than the retail side I so loved in my earlier years. We are lucky to have found our relationship with Square as well. Because of what happened to me early on in business it is still surreal to me when Square asks for feedback or shares our business with pride 🏳️‍🌈 because as much as I try to forget it - there is always a teeny bit of internalized homophobia and vulnerability there.

With gratitude,

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 2 of 34
Super Seller

With the beauty industry things change so fast and so often.  So beauty school was really not useful when I got out.  Even trainings that I took two years ago are almost useless.  So just keep attending every show, class, training possible!  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 3 of 34
Super Seller

I have family in the beauty industry, and they all say the same thing.  What's new today is old next month.  Continued updates and training is a must to be successful.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 4 of 34
Super Seller

Store layout and how you display your products is so important. Having the right amount of inventory for your store size. 

Knowing your products and what sells. It was only when we switched over to Square that we were able to easily and quickly see what products and categories of products sell, and how quickly we should reorder. No longer do we have products sitting in the store collecting dust. 

Be part of the community. Give back, 

Message 5 of 34
Super Seller

So true.  This can also be used with online stores.  Presentation brings people in.

Jacqueline
Message 6 of 34
Super Seller Alumni

I'm still pretty "fresh" so still learning, but one of the most important things I've learned is to be an absolute expert in your field. Running a bookstore means being able to recommend books in all genres to all ages. Talking with your audience and customers about different books, different authors, and different genres all builds trust and a relationship that will keep them coming back to you. Having expertise in your field also reflects passion! And being passionate about what you do is a must, especially in the world of books. 

Looking forward to reading others' responses! Still learning here so all this wisdom is helpful 🙂

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 7 of 34
Super Seller

You definitely have to be an expert in whatever it is you do.  Being in the fashion industry I can't stand to ask someone something as simple as what materials or how do you maintain the item best and they have no suggestions.

Jacqueline
Message 8 of 34
Super Seller

Funny, I often give the opposite advice.  As a photographer, being an expert in photography is valuable but it is only a tangent to running a great business in photography. 

There are tons of weekend shooters who have little idea how to price their work, market themselves, have confidence in their price list, balance a budget, hire employees ... the list goes on. 

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 9 of 34

Honestly, may I say everything. If we knew all of the things we know now about clothes and materials and other sorts of things we would be millionaires literally millionaires. Its so much information to remember and its hard because everyday you learn something new. Sometimes it could be little simple things, but other times its the hard and complicating things. You have to actually memorize the temps, the time, the materials etc. Also the whens, wheres, the whats, and the hows on clothes. 

Please go shop at Team Bryant Clothing Line: https://team-bryant-clothing-line.square.site/ 

Message 10 of 34

Start my own business sooner 😂

Message 11 of 34

Still learning yet, 

One thing is maxing out on more successful marketing strategies sooner to Immediately get the flow going..

Message 12 of 34
Super Seller

There's more competition than you think...

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 13 of 34
Super Seller Alumni

How do I pick just one?!

In retail, just because you love a product doesn't mean your customers will. Don't get too emotionally attached to inventory. Think of it like it's stacks of dollars on your shelves and you'll make better business decisions.

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 14 of 34

Oh god if I new you can buy a bottle for $33.97 and sell it for $999.99 or buy one for $75.00 and sell for $2200.00

Message 15 of 34

Many don't care and will no show service appointments without hesitation. 

Message 16 of 34
Super Seller

Having a good reminder system is very helpful - it won't prevent everything but if you can text and/or email them the day before you'll get less people who don't show up.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 17 of 34

I wish I knew of the demand for the services that I provide in surrounding area , not just the immediate area around me. 

Message 18 of 34
Super Seller

Which items sell better at retail mom and pop shops then others do when competing with Wal-Mart and Amazon.  They can not compete with the US made products that are made from locals.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 19 of 34

I wish I want start a business.. now I hope that I get blessing.. Amen pray for blessing 

Kenny evans
Message 20 of 34
Super Seller

Great question.  I wish I would have known about all the resources that's available to help you get started and keep you educated in the fashion industry and business in general.  I felt like I had to do everything on my own and didn't really know where to start.  Today I try to help anyone who expresses interest in this field.  It's so less stressful to be a part of a community of likeminded people who want to help each other.

Jacqueline
Message 21 of 34