x
Admin

What's one thing about your industry that you know now, that you wish you knew when you started out?

Hey Seller Community 🍒

Each industry has unique advantages, quirks, and challenges. Today we're hoping to learn from you all..

What's one thing about your industry that you know now, that you wish you knew when you started out? 

Reply below! 😊💕

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Super Seller

To invest in bitcoin ASAP...lol.

Sorta kidding.

I started our brick and mortar 8 years ago. I wish I would have also started our online business at the same time. We didn't really push it until the pandemic forced us to a few years ago. I also would have embraced social media more. We have FB and Insta but I think if I would have gone full blown social and had a killer website, I would be 10 years ahead of where I am now. But we learned from it and are incorporating more and more of our time into that arena. 

Abby
Owner, Abigail's Gift Boutique and Abigail's Boutique St. Louis, MO
https://www.facebook.com/abigailsgiftboutique
https://www.instagram.com/abigails_stl/
Message 22 of 34

Thank you very much for your help today I feel like I was craming for testing!!!

Message 23 of 34
Super Seller

Industry Retail - Landlords - property in general!    

I would say I wish I knew about dilapedition orders on retail rented property.  I took on my first lease in London 1996 - the store was not in the best condition.  When handing back the keys at the end of the lease in 2007 I was surprised to receive a bill with over £8000 worth of repairs and things to make good.  Luckily I had photographs taken in 1996 of before and after to show the agent - the company strangely went bankrupt and the agents agreed that I had made the property good, left the property in good order with no fees to pay.  

Message 24 of 34
Super Seller

As a scratch-bakery, I wish I knew how *few* businesses there were who were actually making everything from scratch instead of from mixes. I would have priced myself higher and educated my customer base that we do it the old school way every time. I priced to be competitive and lost a lot of income potential that first year. We've fixed it now (for the most part) and our product speaks for itself.

Just because a place is popular doesn't mean it's a better product.

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!
Message 25 of 34
Super Seller

That hiring a good team was going to take work.  I don't mean it's going to be hard...no I mean actual work.  Setting manuals, training protocols, company culture, etc.  You have to have an excellent system in place to attract the right individuals:)

Message 26 of 34
Super Seller

Take  a sales rep word on a product with a grain of salt.  Test the crap out of it yourself, and then make a decision. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 27 of 34
Super Seller

Hmmm 🤔 I run a Salon, we do high end services for both Afro and European hair textures. Bouncing back after lockdown, has been fantastic for us. But I wish I knew back in 2008, how many of us who serve the texture, extension, and hair loss community, would suffer as a result of lac of access to ever evolving education, and unavailable qualification, or courses, to enable them to insure themselves so they could continue trading.  In other words… It hadn’t dawned on me that the Afro industry in uk and Europe, only have one qualifying model for Afro hair, hooked onto the end of the European NVQ course. And without this, now regulations have been put in place. (Quite rightly so) There’s a massive loophole of texture hair experts that have suddenly become unemployed, unemployable, uninsurable, and even more unsupported than ever. Instead of fast tracking the qualification of these artists who have experience. I heard it is now mandatory for all European hair salons to now have basic experience.

But this is to be taught by who?!…  As I nor any of the other qualified Afro hairstylists at the forefront of the industry have been contacted to offer this training!. But what I do get to see is the fall out, the damaged heads, bad experiences, and lack of support and interaction with the poor clients who suffer as a result.

I wish I knew or recognised how unsupported a fragile it would be for us and was in a better position to help. but I’m starting now. Please join our @afrohairfederationuk page.

Message 28 of 34

Peace is more important than money.

Mix Engineer

https://mixengineer.art/

https://mixengineer.art/
Message 29 of 34

In the resale business, I wish I would have built our own space instead of renting.  It would have saved money and headaches in the long run!  Working towards that now. 

Message 30 of 34

That my company was just horse **bleep**, I mean Literally! Im sitting here trying to consult people about technology and what have you......surrounded by my 5th time removed second/maybe 3rd cousin-Granpa Jericholia..(Hes a She....well....both....Heshhe showed us...None of Us could eat spaghetti and meatballs again after that!....accept one time...

But that was in Mexico)

Love Y'all

Hi Mom

Message 31 of 34

Why can't I reach anyone in support? This I ridiculous.  I've been trying all morning 

Message 32 of 34
Super Seller

Is there anything I might be able to help with >?

Message 33 of 34
Super Seller

I took a deep breath before starting to write this. 😬 So two things…

1. It will get better….BUT, slowly and will force you to have much more patience. 

2. Hiring the right employee to help sustain or even grow your business will not be easy. Just because you may have worked with others in your field with the same level of knowledge, experience, skill set etc. they are there because someone else hired them and most likely had to wait and search just like you. You may think found the right one and then….it doesn’t quite work out like you would have hoped or wanted. Be diligent, be patient and don’t be afraid or hesitant to look to others like yourself for help or suggestions. 

By the way….we’re hiring still. 😂

Message 34 of 34