What was your favorite or worst job before starting your business? ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Heyyy Seller Community! โšก๏ธ

Today we're wondering...

What was your favorite or worst job before starting your own business? ๐Ÿ”ฅ 

giphy.gif

I know mine ๐Ÿคซ 

Can't wait to read your replies! ๐Ÿ‘€ 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

Working in tech support anywhere is HORRIBLE! If you want to hate your life and ruin it instantly, get a job in tech support.

Message 22 of 69
Super Seller Alumni

Favorite: Wildland Firefighter
Worst: Collections for a High Risk Credit Card Company ("You're helping them be responsible." ๐Ÿ™„)

Message 23 of 69
Super Seller

Ooohhh, serious respect for the firefighter @ACAcatering ! I bet you have some stories!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 24 of 69
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks! And yes, plenty of stories. 

Message 25 of 69
Super Seller

Oh my what a great and terrifying question all at once!  I've had to search my memory banks and re-live quite a few moments I was trying to keep forgotten LOL! I've had so many jobs, but the common denominator to every one of the worst jobs I've had...is a boss who is either out-of-touch, a micro-manager, or both! I started my own biz because I was burnt out trying to prove my worth and explain myself, and not being utilized to my fullest extent.

One of the shortest stints I did was a phone customer service rep for Book of the Month Club. It wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't have to rush through calls and log as many as possible per hour. Some calls I felt like a therapist, from listening to the heartbreaking personal story of an assault survivor, to an irate 'gentleman' who was angry his Girls Gone Wild video wasn't delivered on time. LOL.

One of the truest things I often hear is this..."People don't quit jobs, they quit managers." That's been the bottom line for me!

Message 26 of 69

so true on that last quote!

Message 27 of 69
Beta Member

I have been a business owner since I was 19. I would pick up part jobs here and there when business would go through slow spells.  BEST JOB I worked for MAC as a freelance makeup artist and seasonal Victoria Secret the discounts were the best.  

WORST JOB I worked for ADT alarm dispatch while I was in cosmetology school. 

Message 28 of 69
Beta Member

Worst Job - Only lasted one weekend.  I was 15 and got a job cleaning red roof rooms.   So disgusting I never went back.

MMB
Message 29 of 69

Started my business in High School - All of my jobs were good ones. They all help me in opening up two businesses at the same time. One Job to live off of, one job to save and the other to open up the business. 

JMA
Message 30 of 69

I worked at JC Penney 's I loved my job but I didn't how they did things . No growth

Message 31 of 69
Super Seller

Worst "Job"-- Way before fast food workers protesting and I was raking lawns for the going rate of ...........wait for it.... $5/hour.  Built character but not my bank account.

Best Job-  Loved working in the restaurant.   The ability to create endless dishes while not having to be the one to clean the dishes you cooked in.  Priceless

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 32 of 69
Super Seller

My favorite job was working for Coors brewery, a lot of perks came with the job. My worst job was working in a grocery store.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 33 of 69
Super Seller

Worst Job-I worked in a clothing manufacturing factory during the summer break of college and hated it.  I've never been an early bird and I had to be up by 5 in order to be there and ready to work at 7.  You couldn't wear good clothes because the fabric stained everything.  So basically, I dressed bummy and so I felt bummy...

Best job-I was an area manager at Dillard's.  I started as the Kid's department manager, then I was promoted to the Home dept manager, then finally the Jewelry, Handbags, and Accessories manger.  It was then that I fell in love and decided I wanted to have my own shop.  The best decision I ever made besides marrying my husbae...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 34 of 69

Walgreens pharmacy tech.

Message 35 of 69
Super Seller

@isabelle working for a french movie soundtrack label from the BMG offices in Beverly Hills. The owner came in with new "world music" CDs in digipack and he called it Haute Couture.  He said they will retail at 17.99. He started playing it while my team and I read the liner notes. It became clear this was no Putamayo or Real World Music quality. These artists were flown to Paris and in a top-of-the-line studio, they played accompanied by session musicians on western instruments. It sounded very mediocre and I and my team said the list price should be 4.99 then we will sell millions. He then came with me to the BMG sales meeting and he send the CDs around and played his best one. Then he went around the room and ask for a list price all 24 salespeople said 2.99-4.99. He got so mad threw the discs again the wall and yelled "you are all philistines". And he stormed out. I did my presentation and at the end, I told everyone this was my last meeting for this label. I quit. I walked into the office and told the owner and his son, I quit and said " **bleep** you and the horse you came in on", you have no knowledge of the music industry. If you were not best friends with this composer you would not have a label. I then went to work in the food industry. And a month later BMG dropped his label.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 36 of 69

good evening my favorite job was Mc Donalds

Message 37 of 69

usps-WORST

Message 38 of 69

oh really? I thought working for them was okay.

Message 39 of 69

Sure ,if you want to be directed around like a dummy and blamed for the error of others. Also a dead end job as it doesn't matter how well you perform, advancement is by seniority only.  You can be the best choice for advancement but will not qualify. Pay is based on seniority as well, not performance. Pay doesn't equal the responsibility expected. So here i am with my small business, living a much less bitter lifestyle ๐Ÿคฃ

Message 40 of 69
Super Seller

I was 22 when I started my business so I didn't have that long of a work history. My first job was working for a plastic surgeon while I was in high school. Started helping in the surgical suite doing the laundry (learned how to get blood out of fabric so that was cool). My longest job was working as a cashier at Michaels. While I hated *those* kind of coupon users, I liked my customers for the most part. Loved learning about their projects! Working retail definitely helped me learn how to use a good customer service voice when all you want to do is roll your eyes at the dumb questions. HAHA. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 41 of 69

I worked at a grocery store as a "baker's assistant". More like dishwasher extraordinaire. I was there for almost 2 years on promises of advancement. Realized to late that this was as good as it gets. 

Message 42 of 69