x

Accept credit cards over the phone?

How do you accept a card if the customer is paying over the phone?

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hi @rhalverson, when we receive an order via phone or in the mail, we manually enter the provided credit card number into Square Register.  The steps are:

1. Open Square Register app on your device
  2. Create a sale by adding items or using the keypad (this is the same as when the customer is present with their card)
  3. Select "Charge"
  4. Select "Credit Card"
  5. Enter the credit card information (instead of swiping a card)

You'll find more details in these Square Support articles:

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Best Answer

Hi @rhalverson, when we receive an order via phone or in the mail, we manually enter the provided credit card number into Square Register.  The steps are:

1. Open Square Register app on your device
  2. Create a sale by adding items or using the keypad (this is the same as when the customer is present with their card)
  3. Select "Charge"
  4. Select "Credit Card"
  5. Enter the credit card information (instead of swiping a card)

You'll find more details in these Square Support articles:

Message 2 of 29

Can you confirm how much we can process manually before the deposits are held?  I have a large account I'm working with, I've been taking their card over the phone for over a year with no problem. They want me to charge a large dollar amount and I can't remember if this is going to freeze my account and the deposits are going to be held.

Message 3 of 29
Square

@Dena All transactions are sent on our standard deposit schedule, no matter how they are processed.

Message 4 of 29

Charge a card manually

Message 5 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, sorry for the delayed response. 

I checked in on this for you and it looks like you were able to accept manually entered payments recently. 

Was everything working for you?

I've moved your post to this existing thread that contains a few helpful tips and articles.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Message 6 of 29

How do you accept credit card payments over the phone without worrying about an EMV chargeback?

Message 7 of 29
Alumni

Hey @MakansamInc - We recommend checking out our Best Practices for Accepting Card Payments, specifically the section about Card-Not-Present Transactions

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 29

Thanks, Puka, but the Virtual Terminal is what is required to run the phone orders and process the payment properly.

Message 9 of 29
Square

Hey @MakansamInc, I would recommend additionally checking out Square Invoices, as this is a great way to take phone orders (in addition to using the Virtual Terminal for keying in payments). 

Customers will still be able to pay, and you'll be protected against EMV payment disputes.

Message 10 of 29

Thanks, Rene.

In my field of work, it just doesn't work for us. This would put my employees at risk.

Message 11 of 29
Super Seller

Message 12 of 29

We are a towing company and the more time that our employees are face to face with a vehicle owner having to pay, the more irate the vehicle owner gets. I'm sure you've seen the news on stories of these.

Message 13 of 29

So I will be able to process cards over the phone?

Message 14 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Csilliman,

I moved your post to one of the existing threads for this same question.

Above goes over how to manually accept payments and best practices for doing so.

In the future- don't hesitate to search your question first either here or the Support Center for your quickest answer!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 29

How can I process a person’s payment from over the phone using my square app. I have their credit card info

Message 16 of 29
Super Seller

Message 17 of 29

tell me how to process a payment over the phone

Message 18 of 29
Admin

@ruthdyer You'll want to process the payment manually.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 19 of 29

i need to take a payment over the phone , how do i do that 

Message 20 of 29
Super Seller

Message 21 of 29