x

Add a password protected/login page

Is it possible to add a password protected/login page to the e-commerce site, so only specific users can have access to the products that are being sold?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @lucy3,

Yes, you can hide your whole site or specific pages behind a password to prevent it from being publicly accessible. While your site is password-protected, visitors need to enter the password to open your site. Here is an article on how to hide or restrict access to your site for Weebly/Square Online Store, this has screenshots and directions on how to achieve what you are trying to do with your store page.

Message 2 of 14

Thank you so much!!

Message 3 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Let us know if anything else comes up, @lucy3!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

I need two different pages with password protection on my website but I cannot seem to create a unique password for each page. It is only allowing me to use one password that works for both. I need them to be different. Is it possible for each page to have it's own password?

Message 5 of 14

Hi @cmkruemcke Thanks for reaching out 😊

It is not possible to assign different passwords at this time. Is there a reason you need two separate passwords? We can relay the feedback to the product teams as they are always looking for ways to improve the features. 

Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

Yes I can explain. Because Square does not have a solid solution for handling the needs to have a retail/public facing site and a wholesale site that is password protected, I have to create a password protected page within my public site and duplicate all of my items for wholesale pricing (essentially my library will have one item at retail and the same item at wholesale). Then I can include "featured" items on that page, which will be the wholesale items, so my wholesale customers can place an online order. This solution was offered to me by customer service via phone.

The issue is, I already have a password protected page that features a video I do not want accessible to the public. That password is printed on one of my product's packaging and cannot be changed. It is relevant to the product and video topic. 

Once I began testing out creating a new page for my wholesale customers and went to the page settings to create the password, it was then I realized that each password protected page you create has to use the same password. So now I'm in another predicament. I really need a separate password specific to the wholesale "page" I need to create. I do not want one password working for both pages as they are for two very different audiences and needs.

So what I consider to be a "not ideal" work around for wholesale ordering just became even more "not ideal". 

There are thousands upon thousands of customers like me that sell DTC and also sell to wholesale clients, so I cannot fathom why Square does not have a solid model and solution for this.

I was only able to find one thread touching on the need for retail & wholesale that began back in 2019 and there still seems to be no solutions. 

Message 7 of 14

Thank you for the detailed explanation. This is great feedback for the teams, and I'll be sure to pass it along for you. 

Did the rep mention or suggest creating an additional website from the Square Online dashboard? You could use one site for retail, and the second site for wholesale. 

Message 8 of 14
Beta Member

I inquired about creating a separate site which he did say is an option. But I asked if there is a way to easily duplicate the pages from the existing site without having to start from scratch or rebuild each page and he said there was not. 

– Cassie

Message 9 of 14

I am looking into this same thing.  My wholesale customers would like to place their orders online instead of emailing or calling me with their orders and me sending them an invoice.  But I’m unsure of how to go about so retail customers cannot place orders at wholesale prices.  Also, when ordering wholesale there are minimums that must be met- ex. 10 of each item. If I create a new website for wholesale customers is there a Way to transport my items over and make the prices/ minimums in the new page? 

Message 10 of 14

Hey there @TheSoapLadyTX I did reach out to our Square Online team and they did state the following:

The only way to do this would be to mark any of the wholesale items as hidden and add them to a password-protected page in a featured items section. There isn't a specific way to limit the number of a specific item that can be purchased (or require a specific quantity to be purchased) so if they want to create a requirement of X items, the best method to do that would be to create a separate item that accounts for that quantity.
If their intent is to have wholesale pricing with a required quantity of the same items as available to retail (but at a wholesale price) that is pulled from the same inventory then unfortunately that is not possible and would be a feature request.

I hope this helps in some way! 

Message 11 of 14
Beta Member

After spending hours upon hours researching and asking others how they do it, I simply gave up on creating an option for my wholesale customers to order online. There are just too many scenarios and complications that there are no solid solutions for. Not only would it require a separate website which I don't yet want to tackle, it then would create an inventory issue because I could not figure out a way to sync retail and wholesale inventory. For a while I created 2 SKUs for each item I have, one at retail price and one at wholesale. This was a nightmare as I constantly had to manually figure out my total inventory. Finally, I deleted all of my wholesale SKUs, went back to one SKU per item at retail cost and when a wholesale customer places an order (via email or phone), I create an invoice and use a "wholesale discount" on the order. This way, it pulls from one inventory and I still have control on making sure the wholesale customer is meeting minimums and quantity requirements. 

One work around I am currently trying to make it easier for wholesale customers to make an order with me is I created a Google Form with all of my products, quantities and prices listed so the customer can fill it out with an easy click and submit. I then made a link to that form on my wholesale information page on my website. I still have to take this information/order and create an invoice in Square, but it is an easier way to receive an order than back and forth emails or calls. It also allows me to keep a simple record of the orders. You can see what I did on my website (click on the form) : https://www.wirrwarrwraps.com/wholesale#

Most brands I spoke with that have online wholesale ordering have a completely separate and custom built website for that. That will be necessary at some point especially as I grow, but I still don't have a clear idea how these brands sync their retail inventory with their wholesale inventory. A third party app is usually required for that and unfortunately not many of those apps integrate with Square. But they almost always do with Shopify. Now that I've been in business for almost 3 years, I can see that Shopify is probably better suited for product based retailers. 

Message 12 of 14

I need the same thing. I work with local sports teams and other, and some items I can show their customers and then some I cannot. It for staff only. I find it very strange that you protect the one page only and really strange you do it with same password to protect my site with. Secondly, you do not offer categories for password protected page. If you had this feature, then I would not need the second feature. But, yes, I need to be able to separate my teams and customer Items to separate Pages that are hidden or use hidden categories to separate them. This is something you can do very simply, and I need as soon as Possible.  Thank you for your help!

Message 13 of 14

Hey there @hollywoodcwby I appreciate your reaching out and providing your feedback on this request as well. I would enocurage you to provide this feedback on our Ideate Board, our new process of tracking feature requests. While we don’t have a solution right now for this I hope our other products and features will make you reconsider using Square. If you need anything else feel free to reach back out.

Message 14 of 14