x

Allow customer to pay processing fee on invoice

FEATURE REQUEST:

When we invoice, some customers pay with a check, and others pay with a card. So I can't build in a credit card fee automatically into the price. 

I'd like to have an option that allows the customer to opt to pay the card processing fee. 

Many donation systems have that currently - it feels fairly intuitive, and most customers (donors, in that case) will do it. It would help a tremendous amount to NOT lose that fee, if our customers who do choose to pay with a card, will do it.

But we'd need to light that up as an option. 

Possible?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

I would like to know if this is possible as well.

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @mattsteinruck @PerkyCup 👋 Thanks for asking your question here on the Seller Community! Good to hear from you both again.

Charging the processing fee to your customer would fall under what we would consider a surcharge. While you can add a line item that would reflect the cost of the processing fee, our fees are going to be a percentage total of the entire transaction. This thread of other Sellers trying to charge a surcharge might be helpful here as well. 

There are also regulations by state and card company in regards to charging your customers surcharges. You can learn more about this here. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 5

@Joe_123   Would love to know if there is something wrong with the "get around" I found. 

I go into "taxes" and label it as the charge, then assign it to associated categories.  I have used it once, looked like it worked.  Will this show up in reports as a "tax"?  Any other negatives I am not thinking of?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @PeryCup! This setup sounds like it would work well, however you are correct - this would make your Tax reporting reflect what you charged in surcharge sales.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5