x

Appointments: Negative consequences of charging no-show fee?

I use Square Appointments and require card info to hold a booking, to be charged in case of no-show.

But many customers assume that providing this info is how they pay for the appointment, and sometimes don't bring another payment method. It is common for them to ask that I "just charge the card I gave you".

Aside from having me pay a higher processing fee, and having the Appointment system mark a "no show" under the customer name for my records, would simply charging them as a "no show" to pay for the appointment have any negative consequences? It doesn't put some sort of black mark against the customer's card account, does it?

Probably silly of me to worry about such a thing - the answer is probably "no, of course it doesn't" - but hearing it from someone would set my mind at ease.

Message 1 of 17
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Message 2 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @DaoDeJing

You're only able to charge customers either a flat fee or a percentage of your service price depending on your settings for the cancellation fee.

You can try using the "Require Prepayment" option for your appointments, however this can only be applied to a fixed price service. 

Another option would be to add their card to their Customer Profile with the Card on File feature for future payments so you can charge them without them having their payment method on them physically. 

In regards to clarifying the no-show protection, there's not much insight I can provide on this, as I haven't seen many sellers mention their workarounds or best practices. Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Best Answer
Message 2 of 17

Thank you for confirming.

On a related note, does anyone know of a way I could charge this held card a different amount than the cancellation fee? The services I provide have radically variable costs that cannot be accurately anticipated before the customer arrives for the appointment, so simply charging the cancellation fee amount would almost always be insufficient for payment.

Alternatively, how might I clarify the whole "this card info is for no-show protection only, and can NOT be used for your actual payment" thing? For some reason, tons of customers have a hard time understanding this simple concept, and no matter how many times I plaster this information on my website in huge block letters I keep getting several customers a week who just don't "get it". 😕

Message 3 of 17

Best Answer

Hi @DaoDeJing

You're only able to charge customers either a flat fee or a percentage of your service price depending on your settings for the cancellation fee.

You can try using the "Require Prepayment" option for your appointments, however this can only be applied to a fixed price service. 

Another option would be to add their card to their Customer Profile with the Card on File feature for future payments so you can charge them without them having their payment method on them physically. 

In regards to clarifying the no-show protection, there's not much insight I can provide on this, as I haven't seen many sellers mention their workarounds or best practices. Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice. 

Message 4 of 17

I have this problem too! Clients don't understand that it is simply to reserve their appointment. I am not sure if there is much more Square can do on this, some people just don't understand. I use the following as my booking policy: "All appointments must be reserved with a valid debit or credit card to hold the service. Please note: Your card will not be charged." But I still get the occasional misunderstanding.

Message 5 of 17
Admin

Thanks for sharing that tip @onyxstudiosinc! A clear booking policy is very important. You could consider adding information about this policy in the Service Description so that they have the opportunity to see it twice! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 17

Oh that is smart, I may add that to my descriptions!

Message 7 of 17
Admin

Hope it helps, do come back and let us know if you see any reduction in confusion. 

Of course some people (myself included) just go on "auto-pilot" when booking online and don't always read everything! 😬

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 17

i am not able to make payment using my card but when i am purchase order with square it's worked 

I'm getting same error like 

{"errors":[{"category":"PAYMENT_METHOD_ERROR","code":"GENERIC_DECLINE","detail":"Authorization error: 'GENERIC_DECLINE'"}]}

even all my credit card details are correct but still i'm getting this error.

so what's exactly problem is?

Is bussiness_hours effect while purchasing order?

let me know what's the problem here?

Message 9 of 17

My clients aren't reading my no show policy and are claiming they did not authorize this transaction. However, they are checking the box that they agree to my terms. How do we handle if they should dispute what they agreed too?

Message 10 of 17
Alumni

Here are some best practices for accepting payments and preventing disputes

@LOCosophy

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 17

Thank you @JustinC 

Message 12 of 17
Alumni

np! 

Justin
Message 13 of 17

I have a client who no showed to her appoint today I am protected under square and have a policy in which the client must check and agree to when booking. I’m really confused how her card is deleted from her profile when I went to charge her fees. How can a client remove a card off the file when it’s required in order to book? 

Message 14 of 17

Hi there @lni___

I moved your post for visibilty on this topic. Some sellers have replied to this thread with similar questions.

Check out the "Best Answer" by EJ on how to charge for a cancellation. 

Kassi
Message 15 of 17
Beta Member

I just got clarification on this regarding the card on file.  So I'm told by customer service over the phone that unless the client books the appointment themselves (and you have properly set up no show, and either % of services or in each service the amount to be charged for no show) and are required to submit a cc when doing so there is no way to charge their card on file. Apparently, they can remove the card on file at any time, therefor deleting any ability to charge.  

What about clients I'm booking in person as a prebook or over the phone after a virtual consultation? I thought having all no show set up and collecting a card would be protecting me in this instance....It is not.  One community member did state they book as if they were the client booking online as a way around.  I would love to hear best practices for this.  Also, is it required to have them fill out c.c. authorization as well, or just in best practice again to protect myself?

Message 16 of 17

Hey there @Rnhbusdiv 

We are working hard to bring No Show Protection to In-store Booking. In the meantime, other Sellers have opted to book via Dashboard or via the online booking site. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and finding here. 

JJ
Message 17 of 17