x

Can I request a check from a customer using Square Invoicing?

I'm thinking of starting to use the Invoicing feature on Square. However, I don't want to take CC payments. Rather, I want them to mail me a check. Is there an option to not accept CC when using invoicing? If so, how do I do it? 

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tricycle!

If you wanted your customer to pay by check, you could send them an invoice, and within the invoice message, state that you would like to be paid by check.

To make it more clear to the customer, you could download the invoice as a PDF after creating it, and attach it in a manual email that you create. To download the invoice, please follow these instructions:

1. Visit Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > create a new invoice.
  2. In the Payment drop-down, select Share Invoice Manually > select a payment due date.
  3. Finish filling out the invoice > click Create.
  4. Select Invoice and click More > Download PDF to save the invoice as a PDF or print it for your customer.

I hope this helps! Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Beta Member

I don't believe there is a way to keep a customer from using a credit card as it is a core function of the Square invoice feature (which, you've got to admit, makes sense as it is what Square does).

You could request it but I don't think you can prevent it.

Message 2 of 10
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tricycle!

If you wanted your customer to pay by check, you could send them an invoice, and within the invoice message, state that you would like to be paid by check.

To make it more clear to the customer, you could download the invoice as a PDF after creating it, and attach it in a manual email that you create. To download the invoice, please follow these instructions:

1. Visit Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > create a new invoice.
  2. In the Payment drop-down, select Share Invoice Manually > select a payment due date.
  3. Finish filling out the invoice > click Create.
  4. Select Invoice and click More > Download PDF to save the invoice as a PDF or print it for your customer.

I hope this helps! Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 10

Can a customer pay their Square invoice with a check? 

Or would I cancel the invoice?

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Hi @beyondbeyond! Welcome to the wonderful world of the Seller Community. 👋

I moved your question to this thread with some info about accepting a check for an Invoice. You certainly have the ability to send an invoice and then record a payment for it as a check. If you want to do this through the app, here's how:

• Click on the invoice you're wanting to record a payment for
  • Select "add payment"
  • You should see the option "check." If you don't see it right there on the payment page, click "more." It should be there.

You'll see that you're able to record a payment for the invoice as a check. But note that you're not receiving any funds that way.

Hope this helps! Don't be a stranger!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 10

See this ridiculous. I have seen multiple responses from other sellers that say Add Payment and select check or other. Yet my Square app on my phone absolutely does not show that option. It won't even let me create an invoice and take payment manually. I have to email it to the customer. What am I doing wrong?

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

You might not have enabled this as a payment method in your app yet, @2020appliance. Here's how:

1. From the navigation bar in your app, tap ≡ More.

2. Tap Settings > Checkout > Payment.

3. You can rearrange your accepted payment types by drag and dropping them. You can also re-add any disabled payment types by dragging them back up to "Main payment types".

Please let me know how you go 🙂

Message 7 of 10

Hello and thank you for this opportunity.

I would like to know if there is a way to process payment types other than credit cards when a customer wants to pay an invoice. Some our our clients receive their invoices then come into our store to pay by check or cash and there is no way to process this payment type. 

We end up having to take multiple steps to take care of our customer including re-ringing the entire sale at that moment, at point of purchase stand and then having to go back and edit or delete completely, the invoice that took time prior. 

It seems that on our end, thru managements setting even, that a transaction could be completed, in store, with any form of payment that we accept. 

And now you have "my two cents". 

Brenda Swagerty 

Manager - Plants of Texas 

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

We use invoicing and set up for check and cash.  We use the Square Register.  The register reports are horrible, because they only show cash and not checks.  But the invoice "record payment" option lets you put in cash or check.. just be careful, if you also use the square cash register, recording the invoice at your desk paid with cash does not add the money to the drawer.  It's very confusing.

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Hey @plantsof_texas, thanks for bringing this up. It looks like a few other sellers raised a similar question so we moved your post to this thread where you could see the Best Answer by @isabelle. Hopefully that gets you where you need to be. If any questions remain, please let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 10 of 10