x
Seller Community Mentee

Can I run my first payroll without a DOL number?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Can I run my first payroll without a dol number]

Still waiting on accountant to tell me my DOL #; but my first payroll run is due tomorrow.  I can understand that it will be needed for Square to file payroll taxes, etc.  I just want to get my employees paid on time (Friday).  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hey @jk84mc!

Welcome to the Seller Community!

You can onboard to Square Payroll with a temporary SEIN by entering all 1's in onboarding. As soon as you receive your valid SEIN, please update this information in your Payroll dashboard.

If you're wondering what happens when you enter all 1's instead of a valid SEIN, please take a look at the following: 

1. You will receive an email notification from Square stating we have an invalid account number.
  2. You will see a banner in your Payroll dashboard stating we have an invalid account number.

The tax implications if a valid SEIN is not provided once you receive it, are the following:

1. Square is unable to make any state tax filings on your behalf.
  2. Square is unable to make any state tax payments on your behalf. If we do not have a valid SEIN by the time these payments are due we will refund the taxes withheld to your bank account.If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to reach out.

Please feel free to reply to me with any additional questions! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 11
Seller Community Mentee

Thanks for your response.  Thankfully my accountant finally got the number to me today.  I ran my first plus the off schedule day for the 1st.  

Message 3 of 11

Can I make payment without filling up tax information like EIN and Withholding account number or employer account number 

Message 4 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Harrison62!

I reached out to the Payroll team with this and they said that an EIN is required for all types of payroll accounts.

We need this to ensure applicable tax payments and filings are completed accurately. State tax IDs, such as a withholding account number and state UI numbers, are also required if you are paying W-2 employees but not if you are paying 1099-MISC contractors.

In some states, it take a couple of weeks to get the state UI tax number and in that case, you can temporarily enter all 1s until the state issues you a number.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 11

I tried entering all 1s and it didn't work

Message 6 of 11

How do I process Square payroll without a UI number? Rhode Island needs to receive and process a payroll before assigning a UI number, but Square says they need the number before they can process payroll tax.  So I'm in an infinite loop.  I tried entering all 1s on Square as a temporary number as suggested elsewhere on this site, but that didn't work

Message 7 of 11
Alumni

Hi @homegrownpvd - If this thread doesn't help, reach out to our Payroll Team for further assistance.  

Justin
Message 8 of 11
Alumni

Hi there, @homegrownpvd 🪴 

We would recommend getting in touch with our Payroll team over the phone if you are still running into trouble.

Valentina
Message 9 of 11

As mentioned, the Square payroll team is not accessible by phone.  I phoned numerous times and was told I could not talk with the payroll team -- that I would have to make an appointment for June 28 or later. Consequently, I ditched Square payroll and switched to OnPay. They have real-time phone support, and even phoned me in response to emails. Square phone support is non-existent.

Message 10 of 11

The payroll team is basically not accessible -- they would not talk by phone, and the earliest date they would provide for a phone conversation was June 28.  I will not be using Square payroll -- I switched to OnPay, which has very accommodating customer service, and a more user-friendly interface.

Message 11 of 11