x

Can I sign up for Square without using a SSN?

i donot have a ssn number to register? could i still use the transaction previlege tax number instead. i am not a US citizen.

Message 1 of 11
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I sign up for Square without using a SSN?

@harexintl - Welcome to the Seller Community! As for your question, Square does employ a risk-based policy in line with the Patriot Act and associated regulations that requires collection of an individuals Social Security Number. With out, you won't be unable to create an account with Square that is able to process credit cards.

10 REPLIES 10
Square

@harexintl - Welcome to the Seller Community! As for your question, Square does employ a risk-based policy in line with the Patriot Act and associated regulations that requires collection of an individuals Social Security Number. With out, you won't be unable to create an account with Square that is able to process credit cards.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

I'm trying to open an account for a US bussiness, yet teh owner has only ITIN number and not SSN number.

How can I open an account?

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

Hi @thamavet we do require that Square accounts are opened with a SSN. For more information, see @Sean's post above. 

Message 4 of 11

Hi

my company is incorporated in Delaware, I have an EIN but as non resident alien no SSN , can I still open an account

Message 5 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BU2709! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread in our Community around signing up with an SSN.

An SSN is required to sign up with Square per card processing regulations but you can change it to an EIN once the account has been created in the Account & Settings section under Tax Forms.

If you don't have one, you may have to have someone else in the business make the account for you. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 11

so when you  "change" to EIN can you remove that individual from the account?

Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Heya @cacp,

Adding the EIN doesn't remove the account holder of the account itself. There is no way to do that as every account has to be connected to the owner of the account but adding the EIN in Tax Forms ensures that taxes/sales are reported under the business and not the individual. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11

to be clear, the "account holder" must have a SSN. It is not enough that the company has a EIN if for example, the owners are nonresidents.

Message 9 of 11

Is there any way that I can use the booking system without putting my ssn?

Message 10 of 11
Admin

@touchbychloe

You're post was moved to this thread to better address your question. Please check out Sean's answer about SSN and using Square Appointments.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 11 of 11