x

Can I use the Square Register with a third party credit card processor?

I recently purchased a couple of Square Registers for my business, however I am still under contract for processing payments with a third party payment processing company for at least a year. Is there a way that i can use the square register hardware to take payments but use the third party to process the payments? I am currently using the register for cash transactions and a different card reader for card transactions.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Unless Square has removed the option for "other payment types" from the Square register, you should be able to just key in the amount there. At least you will have a way of tracking customer payments and still get some level of sales reporting. If that option exists, then you will be able to drag that option further up to your checkout screen from the settings page. If that option doesn't exist, you can use "check" or any of the other options that don't require a card.

I have not come across anything on Square's website stating that using the Square register binds you in a contract to use them for processing payments. You obviously do lose out on the convenience of using that second screen for customers to make payments on. Furthermore, it is an additional step to key in the amount when "other payment types" is selected. 

Please let us know how it goes as the documentation on using the Square register is limited. There isn't much if any information out there on its speed, dependability and overall use or what makes it different from using a regular android tablet (besides the obvious second screen). For example, do the compatible scanners automatically add items to the cart. Square on all other android platforms do not.  Best wishes for your business.

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

So you could have square registers and basic square functions but not you square as your merchant provider? And whenever you have another form of payment you could use something just like a Dejavoo ?  They wouldnt care?

Message 3 of 3