x

Can open a square account without social security number?

I have a TIN from the IRS, do not have a SSN YET, what can I do?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Hello, I have the same problem. My company is legal and I have a tax ID number..

Message 2 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

If you do not have an Social Security Number yet, but have been issued an Individual Tax Identification Number, you can use that to sign up for Square. 

Aside from that specific situation, there isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

For security purposes, both banking industry regulations and federal law require Square to ask for the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each of our customers.

Even if you plan on using our services primarily for a business, we need this information to confirm that you’re either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.

Message 3 of 7

ITIN doesn't work.

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

Hey @rdolmat - If you're having issues signing up with an TIN, please reach out to our Support team directly who can help you look into this. Because the Community is a public forum, we won't discuss account specifics here for everyone's privacy.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 7

Why does Square Require My SSN?

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our primary account holders. The only alternative to providing a SSN is a valid ITIN. There is no way to create a Square account without this information, @JuztDanskii12.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7