x

Can the chip card reader be turned off to conserve battery?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Supposedly, you don't turn it off, it does it itself.  In the Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader topic it says,

"Once your reader is on, you don't need to worry about turning it off.  It'll automically go into sleep mode after 2 hours of inactivity. To wake it up from sleep mode, firmly press the button on the side of the reader."

Article

If you don't want to wait 2 hours you can try holding the power button until it flashes red. This seems to disconnect it from your phone - which may or may not turn it off. Not sure about that though.

Message 2 of 8

I also have this problem. The reader is fully charged. No devices are running SquareUp/Register. The next day the device (unused in that time) shows red. I suspect the battery is defective.

Message 3 of 8
Square

@edbeale Though every battery will vary slightly, your contactless and chip reader battery should last one full business day. @HeyItsMuff is correct, the reader will automatically go into sleep mode after 2 hours. If you are having battery issues, shoot our Support Team an email and they can help get you a new reader. 

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for the reply. The reader was charged and placed in my bag. Three days later, I had a sale. The reader was dead. The only thing I can think is that it did *not* go into sleep mode, stayed on, and that was it. I have charged it again, have not used it, and this is the third day still showing all green. So it seems to be working *now*. The experience has just made me wary of the reader as a viable sales tool. I'll start packing around a spare battery and charging cable.

Message 5 of 8

Why can't the reader just be turned off, rather than us being told it has to stay on for 2 hours which should be our choice, if we do not need it on a lot?

Message 6 of 8
Alumni

Hi @Hughmoz - The Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader does go to sleep after long durations of inactivity. However, we recommend you charge it before a big event so that it will work for you!

Message 7 of 8

I realise that, however, it's not what I am asking as, I want to know why I cannot turn it off when I wish to?

Message 8 of 8