x

Can you search for an item by SKU with out a scanner?

Am trying to do a search of an item by the bar code but it won't let me? Is there a way to do this?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

UPDATE: As of this morning, you can now search by SKU within the Point of Sale app by typing in the SKU Number or scanning the SKU Number. 

Sorry we made you all wait so long for this feature, and thank you all for the feedback and advocacy that led to this update!

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

When I type in the SKU, the item variant is not found. The SKU has been verified. Is there a setting that needs to be enabled? The barcode scanner works fine for items with barcodes.

This is in response to your BEST ANSWER which claimed the SKU could be typed in. I have not read the entirety of the thread.

Message 22 of 37
Beta Member

Unfortunately the reply that claimed you can type in the sku is wrong information.  We have equiped more pos stations with scanners to lessen the situation.  Stilll hope they develop a fix for this bug.

Message 23 of 37
Super Seller

we use search by sku every day in square pos since they added it a few months ago.  

Edit:  yeah the item variation thing not pulling up the exact item up with variation is annoying.

Message 24 of 37
Beta Member

@VanKalkerFarms the thread is saying you can only search SKU by Item directly, not by Item variations which a lot of people use.  

Message 25 of 37
Admin

Hey @StompingGrounds and @CheeseCanary — sorry for the delay. We're still looking into this and we will circle back as soon as we have any updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 26 of 37

where do you type it in.  typing it into search yields no results.

Message 27 of 37
Beta Member

In our system you need to be on the Checkout screen.  The icons at the bottom of the screen include a box with a "Bullet list" symbol in it.  Select that screen and on ours it says "Library" in the header.  You can type in the sku, and select "Search".  In our configuration we have Groups with many items in every group and with many variations in each item.  If you select the item found all the variations will be listed and if you scroll down the sku you entered will be highlighted. Good Luck

Message 28 of 37

Is there a way to search by Variants or SKU on the register? I easily have 5 variants for each model and I'd rather not have to make each one a distinct item.

Message 29 of 37
Square

@vb - This is a very popular feature request. I went ahead and moved your comment over to the thread where we are tracking this. I'll be sure to update everyone here if this functionality is introduced. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 30 of 37

Why doesn't Square just add this feature already. You should be able to search by SKU or Name or even something in the Description or Tags. This is very easy to implement. My thought is that Square wants you to buy their barcode so that they can make more $$$. It's a sensible business strategy but it a very crappy thing to do to small businesses that can't afford to have the Square branded barcode scanner.

Optionally, the iPad has a camera, why are we even fussing with barcode scanners? You should be able to show the iPad the item and capture the barcode using the camera that is built into the device. (Hey Square, that idea is free from me... I don't even want credit)

Message 31 of 37
Beta Member

well written @EolaPets those are the exact two features I want. Search by SKU and use phone camera to read barcode/QR code.  It's strange that a POS doesn't have these basic functions. Maybe it's a POS.

Message 32 of 37

I am not a Square for Retail customer. We use a Square stand in our retail location. When going through the checkout process, in 'Item Library', and when performing a search, it searches for Item Name, but not SKU. Is there a way to have it search for SKU?

Message 33 of 37
Alumni

@Norelu -  Point of Sale allows you to search items by SKU. Can you confirm that your sku's in Dashboard match your products? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 34 of 37

The product SKU in the POS system matches the SKU on the product. 

Here is my example:

POS System at store:

When I search during checkout for welcomehome with no space, I get no results. Item Name is Welcome Home - 6x18, Item SKU is 0618-WELCOMEHOME

Square Dashboard Item Library:

When I search the item library for welcomehome with no space, I get all results with the words welcome and home.  

I want the POS System to work the same way the Square Dashboard Item Library works. 

Message 35 of 37
Beta Member

We use Square Register.  When we search for SKU, it comes up with the item, but not the variation.  We are like many previous posters - we are looking for the ability to find a specific variant, without having to search through all the variants on an item.  Has this been resolved yet?

Message 36 of 37
Square Community Moderator

Hi @beefolks - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

At this time, the request for a feature that will allow sellers to search for variations is still in the works. I'll be happy to move this over to a feature request board so that our engineers have visibility of your suggestion. The more visibility the better 👍

We appreciate you sharing your request. While there is no time frame for when it will be implemented, i'm happy to make sure our engineers have eyes on your request. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 37 of 37