x

Cash Drawer Management and Checks

How does the cash drawer management function treat payments entered as checks?  It seems it does not include them in the cash total for the drawer.  I can easily reconcile this if a check is tendered for the actual amount of a purchase, but closing a drawer becomes more complicated if I have cashed checks for people or have allowed cash-back in excess of the purchase amount, effectively turning some of the drawer cash into checks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Cash drawer management is just that, only cash management.  It doesn't take into account checks, and your drawer will definitely be short if you are giving cash back on cashed checks.

Message 2 of 5

Why?  Is this a common practice, or one peculiar to the Square software?  I guess the example I gave of cash-back in excess of a purchase would actually work out, as it would account for the change back in cash, but checks cashed mixed in with checks tendered for purchases tends to make things hard to reconcile.

To simplify things, I guess we could just enter all checks as cash, but then again I would like to use that function to record the check number and payee for certain fees charged...

In my mind, it should give a till total, not a cash-only total.

Message 3 of 5
Square

Cash Drawer reports are intended to be cash only, @mmccarty.

If you're not already, you can use the Paid In/Out function to account for cash removed from your drawer in the examples you gave. Doing so will let you record check payments correctly while keeping your cash drawer balance accurate. Hope that helps!

Message 4 of 5

I have customers that still write checks (i know) and cash checks. Some questions. 

(a) if I have a customer that spends $10.00 on items but writes the check for $40.00 for extra cash back, how do I record that transaction as part of the tender/charge/payment from the register?

(b) if I have a customer that doesn't spend any money but writes a check for $20 (yes, small town so I tolerate being a bank), how do I record that transaction as part of the tender/payment from the register?

(c) If i have person A who writes person B a check for $50.00 and they endorse the back of the check, which is a negotiable instrument to my company and they spend $20.00, how do I record that transaction as part of the tender/charge/payment process from the register?

Message 5 of 5