x
Beta Member

How to create a negative priced item - or how to pay / cash out a winning Lottery ticket?

We sell our state lottery products which means we also pay out cash to customers when they win.  How do I set up a button that allows a payout (negative price) to a customer.  I've tried using the discount function but this will only discount a positive priced product.  It seems as if I can't get Square to let me go (-) negative to pay out a winning ticket only. 

Example: If a customer wins $5.00, how do I ring up this -$5.00 to pay cash to the customer?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller Alumni

Sorry,  Square will not do that.  The only thing you can do is a paid out with cash drawer management.  This is basically a note saying you took money out and for what.  Don't know if this will work but I don't know any other way.  

Message 2 of 9
Super Seller

Message 3 of 9
Beta Member

Thanks. Guess it's a good thing we kept our old POS system. Will have to use that for our California Lottery sales. What a pain.

Message 4 of 9
Alumni

Hey @VanKalkerFarms - thanks so much for flagging this. @Donuts - we really want to support payments for as many types of businesses and products as we can. Since the lottery is a form of gambling, there are a lot of restrictions on using credit to pay for it and this varies from locale to locale. 

Apologies for the frustration, and thanks for your understanding.

Message 5 of 9

What if I am not using Credit card to accept lottery payments, but just using square cash drawer to make the transactions?

To give some context, we would like to use Square POS at our convenience store, and perform cash payment, and payouts for the lottery. We are intending to use Square POS to just record the transactions.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 9

Hello @ellistown, there isn't a workaround for a negative transaction. Since sales of lottery tickets were never intended for the system. If this changes in the future, we will make an announcement on this thread. 

Message 7 of 9

How do you do negative amounts? This should be added to balance drawers. 

Message 8 of 9

At my store I have lottery purchases and I redeem winnings.  It someone spends $20 on a lottery ticket with cash, I record it as a cash tender.   

Question (a) If they win $100, how should I record that winning ticket and payout of $100? 

Question (b) if they win $500 and redeem, I don't want to use my cash on hand for transactions and I have to write a check for $500, how should I record that winning ticket and payout of $500 via check?

Message 9 of 9