x

Cash in drawer amount is wrong

When I logged in to close my drawer last night, I noticed that the "expected cash in drawer" amount was half of what it should've been.  All of the individual transactions are listed, and all were cash sales.  There were no paid outs.  And I'm the only user of the account.

So for proper accounting, how do I get the rest of the money to record as being in the drawer before I close it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Hello @dabblrscre8ions !

There are a few things that can cause the cash in drawer amount to be a little off...

-Did you account for the starting cash float in your counts? If you start the drawer with $100, you'll have to count that 100 in the count to get the correct expected cash number.

-Did you ring any cash sales on devices that aren't connected to the drawer? Example, your phone or a secondary tablet. If you do, those cash sales aren't counted on the system with the cash drawer. What I do to get around that is to have cash management enabled with a $0 cash drawer on every device that doesn't have the physical drawer on it. At the end of the day I close every drawer on every device and manually add the expected cash in drawer amounts to the system with the cash drawer on it.

-My cash drawer has a tendency to eat bills if I don't put them in just right. 🙂 Pull the cash drawer out of the box to make sure no cash ended up behind it.

Hopefully one of these will help you. If not, please let us know and we can continue troubleshooting.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6

Thank you, @ryanwanner. You hit the nail on the head. Although I don't have a physical cash drawer, my tablet is set up to think I do.  But I forgot to charge it up the night before.  So I must've run the last sale thru Square checkout on my phone.  I'll look into your cash management tip in case I have to do that again.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Glad I could help @dabblrscre8ions !

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 6

Hello there. I'm new to Square. How often do I need a closing cash drawer session? At this moment I have some discrepancy that I need to enter. So I assume that I need to close the drawer session. How can I do that? And should I do that through the square terminal? or is it possible to do it through the browser?

I've already read this article. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @PRMC and welcome to the Seller Community!! I've merged your post to an existing thread there @ryanwanner helped @dabblrscre8ions. This should help get you on the right path. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6