x

Changing the order of items in app?

I just created an account and ordered my reader.  In the meantime, I've added my items, however, it automatically put them in alphabetical order.  I don't want them in alphabetical order.  I'd like to put the most popular items at the top.  Is there a way to do this in the app or on the computer through the Square Dashboard?  

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

There isn't a way to sort it other than alphabetical.  What we did to trick it was put a space at the front of the 6 items we use 80% of the time when using an iPhone mobile.  The space puts it at the top of the list.  90% of our sales are on an iPad with the grid.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

I spin my own yarn, so every item I sell is unique.  I want to sell my yarn on weebly in addition to at shows, and have added an inventory code to the yarn label by hand.  Is it possible to list yarn by this inventory code in the app to make selling in person more efficient than having to scroll through all the pictures?

Message 22 of 41
Alumni

What's up @DogmawGlass 👋  Thanks for stopping by!

By default, Square organizes your item list in numerical order first, then alphabetical order thereafter. In your case, it may be beneficial to include a few numbers from the SKU before the item name so your item list will generate in ascending order by SKU.

I've merged your question to this thread so you can take a look at a few workarounds other sellers use to make sorting their item library easier and more convenient. 

I hope this help!

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 41
Beta Member

You can list the number then a general description.  My challenge is taking quality pictures and getting everything posted timely.

Message 24 of 41

I am attempting to set up our dashboard and in creating items there are many which are the exact same description but the item with 10/12 appears before an item which is 3/12. The same words are in both but I set Sku numbers to each in order of 1-infinity but it doesn't change my dashboard order. Thank you in advance!

Message 25 of 41
Alumni

Welcome to the Seller Community, @G_Restorations

I've moved your post to this thread where @DogmawGlass asked a similar question, so you can see @JustinC's answer. Based on what you've explained, it sounds like this solution will help order your items the way you are wanting!

Valentina
Message 26 of 41

This one I can help you with. 🙂  The numbering system considers 10... to be before 3..... because 1 is smaller than 3.  If you want the 3 to come before the 10, it needs a 0 first.  For example 03.... comes before 10....

Message 27 of 41

THAAAANK YOOOOU!!!!

Message 28 of 41

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: In a square terminal, is it possible to change the order that "items" show on the screen

As my topic heading says: In a square terminal, is it possible to change the order that "items" show on the screen? The default is alpha.

Message 29 of 41
Alumni

Your Item Library will first be organized in numerical order, and then in alphabetical order, @LeeSooke. I've moved your post to this thread where some sellers have had similar questions about the organization of the Item Library. A common workaround I've seen sellers mention is adding numbers in front of the item name to change the positioning of the item - peek around this thread for details!

Valentina
Message 30 of 41

Hey square, please make a way so I can move my items around, they're very randomized due to the alphabetical order which is very confusing for me to find certain items.

Message 31 of 41
Alumni

Hi @Dao_Cha - it sounds like you're referring to the order of your items within your Item Library. This thread is where others have asked about how these items are organized. You should find some good advice here, so I've moved your post to this thread. Be sure to a take a peek at my answer above as well; it may help.

Please let me know if this isn't quite what you were asking about!

Valentina
Message 32 of 41

This is a mess. These workarounds since the issue was raised in 2017 feel like a copout.

For me, and I’m sure this is true for everyone asking, this presents great friction at a moment that should be seamless (in my case when I’m trying to correctly charge for something in the same moment I am trying to get away to reach my next client on time).

Please promise to fix this and have the developers work on it.

Message 33 of 41

I’ve spent a little time (close to an hour which I can ill afford), working through this problem.

Modifying the name like this should NOT be necessary and has several knock on effects including that the code that influences the sort order will be visible on receipts and invoices AND the previously useful icons for each item (which only carry two characters) are now nothing more than visual clutter.

Having invested so much time, I’d appreciate it if the Square Team could take a similar amount of time to long hard look at this unsolved bug.

In service of that, below are the items I’ve created.

In all cases the leading 6 characters cause irritation.every.time.I.make.a.charge.

05 - ½ Hour
10 - 1 Hour
15 - 1½ Hour
20 - 2 Hour
25 - 2½ Hour
30 - 3 Hour
35 - 3½ Hour
40 - 4 Hour
45 - 4½ Hour
50 - 5 Hour

M05 - ½ Hour MCN
M10 - 1 Hour MCN
M15 - 1½ Hour MCN
M20 - 2 Hour MCN
M25 - 2½ Hour MCN
M30 - 3 Hour MCN
M35 - 3½ Hour MCN
M40 - 4 Hour MCN
M45 - 4½ Hour MCN
M50 - 5 Hour MCN
M55 - 5½ Hour MCN

R05 - ½ Hour Remote
R10 - 1 Hour Remote
R15 - 1½ Hour Remote
R20 - 2 Hour Remote
R25 - 2½ Hour Remote
R30 - 3 Hour Remote
R35 - 3½ Hour Remote
R40 - 4 Hour Remote
R45 - 4½ Hour Remote
R50 - 5 Hour Remote
Message 34 of 41
Admin

Hey @AppleWise-

I appreciate you putting in the time here and posting in the Seller Community.

I want to make sure I understand exactly what's happening here. I can confirm that the items will appear in alphabetical order. This is not a bug, it is how it's intended.

Are you saying that your items are not in alphabetical order when they should be? If so, I would like to file a bug with our Engineering Team once I get a bit more information from you. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 35 of 41

I started setting up my item list months ago because we use we use the items for our catering invoices.  Now, I've decided to purchase the POS system and i'm finishing the process and finishing adding all of the items we offer in store so we can use to ring in our customers...

For my deli, I have #1 - #25 sandwiches, and since i'm adding more items now, they are now out of order.  Is there a way to rearrange them?  Id like it to be as easy as possible for my employees to find the number and have them in order but I can't seem to figure out how to drag them or rearrange them.  

thank you!

Message 36 of 41
Admin

Hey there @Thesandwichspot- I moved your question here so you can find your answer. Be sure to let us know if any other questions come up!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 37 of 41

Why has this not been made a feature? I use both my phone app and will start using an online store through weebly. I don’t want to number my products, because it shows the number next to the item on the web page. Please let us rearrange the items within the library on the app however we’d like!

Message 38 of 41
Beta Member

I have just started using Square, and can't believe it doesn't have the simple feature of arranging my items in the order I want. Please tell me this is in development, or should I find another platform that actually meets my needs rather than your restrictions?

Message 39 of 41

This is yet another example of a feature that sellers have been asking for 4+ years now that we have yet to receive. I recently purchased the square terminal and will likely be returning it. While I am frustrated that I am unable to rearrange my items in their categories (ie. I want my most popular items at the top of each category), I am more infuriated by the fact that people have been asking for this feature for so long and it has yet to be added. That is just poor customer service. 

Message 40 of 41
Beta Member

I am confused because we have the reverse problem. "Variations" we want to see in alphabetical order because of the size of our database. For example, right now we have 197 variations within "Pendants" and we need this to show alphabetical. When is Square going to add this ability?

Message 41 of 41