x

Constrain discount code to certain categories

I would like to create a discount that may only be applied to certain categories. I don't want the discount to be automatically applied, so what I'm looking for is different from the current "automatic discount" feature.

I want to be able to add a discount to a sale and for that discount to only apply to items in the eligible categories. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hey @rgreig-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Just to be clear, lyou still want the discount to be automatically applied to certain items in eligible categories, correct? Or do you truly just want to manually apply the discount during the sale? 

Let me know so I can provide the accurate instructions. Also, so sorry for the delay in response! We've had high volume this week. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 5

Thank you for the reply. We are starting a membership program, where members get a discount on certain categories. So, I don't want the discount automatically applied to every sale. When a member presents their card at checkout, I would like to be able to apply the discount to the sale, and only have the discount apply to eligible categories within the sale.

Is this possible?

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Got it @rgreig-

You can create the discounts ahead of time, and then manually apply them to sales that are eligible. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to create them for just specific categories (without using the auto-discount feature). 

Using the Square app on a smartphone, you can apply a discount to an entire sale:

1. From Checkout, tap the list icon to view all items.
  2. Tap the discount you’d like to apply to add it to the current sale. Note: A manually-added automatic discount will apply to all items in the cart, not just items selected in that discount’s rules.

Or apply a discount to an individual item:

1. Tap Current Sale.
  2. Tap the item you’d like to discount.
  3. Tap the discount you’d like to apply to add it to the current sale.
  4. Tap Save.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any questions about this. The instructions/steps will be available in the app after you've created the discounts.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 5

Can this be done on square register?

Message 5 of 5