x

Custom Report that includes NOTES

Can I set up a custom report that includes NOTES per items?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller Alumni

If you pull a transaction report the far right filter, usually "Card #" can be changed to "Notes".  However I have found that you need to know what the note is to find it.  Because of that we start all of our notes with **  This way we can search ** and see all the notes.

Message 2 of 15

I attempted this and it will not print my notes on a report.  We currently use general "item" ie (table or trunk) but in the notes will enter full description (whitewashed coffee table).   We are a refurb decor store so our items constantly change.  I'd like to print a report that shows items with notes.

Message 3 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

You are right it will not print on a report it will only show the transactions and you have to click on each one to see the notes.  Maybe there is a future feature to fix this.

Message 4 of 15
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up — I think I see what you mean. It sounds like you're looking for a printable report that would associate the note with the payment itself. While this particular option isn't available, you can view notes added to payments from your Transactions tab, as @RHatch mentioned. Otherwise, you can view which notes are associated with the item sold by downloading the Items Detail CSV (which is printable) — any chance that helps?

So that I can share more details with our Product Liaison team, can you provide more information on how this reporting option would be useful for your business? Thanks again. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 15

Hi Tom,

I need a report that will show "note" to each item.  Right now I can pull a item report at the end of the day but it does not include the notes.  We have a refurbished furniture store with "vendors".  I do not want to create "specific" items for inventory because it changes every day, so I have "generic items"  for example "Table" or Trunk are items and in the notes I can input the specific item at the time of sale.  

Catergory - (vendor)

Item - Table

Notes- small square white washed coffee table 

At the end of the day and month I need to pull a report that shows all items sold per category, item and notes.

Thanks so much for your help

Message 6 of 15
Admin

Got it. Thanks for taking the time to lay this out — I will be sure to share this with the appropriate teams and point out that you need a report that shows all items sold per category, item, and notes.

While we do not have a report that presents the information as you've illustrated, if you export the Items Detail CSV, you should be able to view all of these details by referring to the following columns: D (Category), E (Item), and Q (Notes).

Hope this helps for now. Please let us know if anything else comes up, and we'll be sure to circle back with any related updates that may help surface this information more efficiently. 

️ Tom | he/him
Message 7 of 15

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, the data that gets exported under "notes" is the item description, and not actually the customer's notes to the merchant at checkout.

Message 8 of 15
Admin

Thanks for surfacing, @hnc. You're correct, the notes that show up in the note column (Q) of the Items Detail CSV are the notes entered in by the seller at the time of the sale. In order to add a note and an item, you'll need to select the specific item by tapping Current Sale > select item > add note below Notes and Quantity > Save.

Out of curiosity, can you share some more information on how you're needing to use the note field at checkout? I'll be happy to share more with our Product Liaison team.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 15

Hi Tom,

We are using the online square storefront.

We are selling jerseys customized with the buyer's in-game name (not their real name.)

Customers type in the name they want printed in the "notes" field at checkout.

Once orders close, we need to export all the orders and have the name that they want printed as one of the fields so we can send this list to the shirt printing company. 

Message 10 of 15
Admin

Got it. Thanks for taking the time to share — it sounds like you would benefit from having the same note show up in the Transactions CSV report.

I'll be surfacing your post with our Point of Sale Team. As we work to make improvements to reporting, hopefully the Items Summary CSV is useful, or you might find a helpful solution with one of our partner applications. To see all options, sign in to your App Marketplace tab.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 11 of 15

Hey Tom

Are there any updates from Square regarding "custom reports that includes NOTES"?

Also is there a why to change "CATEGORY" field after a sale is complete?

Message 12 of 15

Hello @ML2, currently our Product Team is still tracking the feedback for this feature request. 

Currently there isn't an option to change the category field on your Square Dashboard once the sale is complete. 

Message 13 of 15

Very interested in an update for this report.  We need to also print the notes and the only way is to export and modify the info.  Would like to run this daily and have the notes and customers per item  Thank you

Message 14 of 15

I too would like to be able to add the notes to my custom report. We are a not-for-profit art gallery. At certain times of the year we  have too many items to enter into our system (our gallery changes monthly). I have set it up so that the monthly gallery show name is set as a category. I have one item: artwork. This item has a variation for each artist with the variation being the artist name. There is no price set. At sale time we enter the price of the artwork and put the title of the artwork in the note field. This nicely shows up on the receipt. At the end of the month the bookkeeper would like to have a report of what was sold so she can tell the artists which pieces sold and pay the appropriate commissions. 

Would really appreciate this feature otherwise I will have to spend time each month fiddling with the CSV file to get it suitable for the bookkeeper.

Message 15 of 15