x

Deleting redundant pictures from online store

Hi, 

Today I've started building my online store and so far it's been a really great experience.  Thank you for the capabilities that you have given me at this early stage.

I'm having an issue with pictures.  I like tidy.  I've been experimenting with different sizes, resolutions and quality settings with the same picture and of course I've uploaded the different test images with different names so that I can easily identify them.

There will come a time during the life of my store that I will want to remove a picture completely from the site because I don't need it for a story or  other non-item content.  How can I remove a picture that is no longer in use?

Thanks in advance!

Anthony Bourne

Message 1 of 20
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for tagging me @tonydow! At the moment, there isn't a way to delete an image from your site's gallery @tbourneuk. I can definitely pass this as a feature request to our Product team for consideration so it can make it more manageable in the long term. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Beta Member

Just go to the online item library, click on the item then on the picture you want to remove. It should have a bin icon, click to remove.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 2 of 20

Thanks but it doesn't solve the problem...  Let me clarify with a specific example...

I wrote a story and added an image to it.  I wasn't happy with the image so I uploaded a new one and changed it on the story by using "delete" and then "add image".  I navigate away from the page, even closed the editor down and re-opened it and the old image is still available even though it's not being used anywhere.  There doesn't seem to be a "picture library" management screen or way to delete items from the library that I've uploaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Anthony Bourne

Message 3 of 20
Super Seller

OK - obvious question, but did you click on 'save' after replacing the image? 

Try clearing your browser history & cache before going to check - as it'll often store stuff locally & just show you that even it the page has actually changed. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 20

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Yes, I happily have the NEW image in place but the OLD images (which have a DIFFERENT FILENAME) are still available to add to a story, banner or other non-item content.  My browser cache is automatically cleared when I close so I know it's not a cache issue.  The files that I don't need and are not attached to any content are resident on the store server.  The files are NOT coming from the POS system where my items are created and payments taken so they're not being automatically updated/replaced by any item stock update.  

It might just be something very simple like there is no functionality in the interface to do it at this time because nobody has actually asked for it!

Because it's early days for my store design I could live with it and try to remember to upload replacement pictures with the same name as the old version.  Assuming that works, it's a partial solution...

Thanks again,

Anthony Bourne

Message 5 of 20
Beta Member

@tbourneuk I didn’t realise you were talking about non-item images. I may have a similar problem as I have a Gallery page with one image and can’t see a way to remove it either 

@tranguyen Any thoughts?

Message 6 of 20
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for tagging me @tonydow! At the moment, there isn't a way to delete an image from your site's gallery @tbourneuk. I can definitely pass this as a feature request to our Product team for consideration so it can make it more manageable in the long term. 

Tra
Message 7 of 20

Thank you @tranguyen , @tonydow and @Sam_400º for taking the time to help.  I look forward to being able to make a great-looking store and hopefully making some money too!

Best wishes,

Anthony Bourne

Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

Okay @tranguyen  If I delete the gallery page, can I then recreate it with a different image? I only have one image in it but that image is a list which needs to be updated periodically.

Message 9 of 20
Admin

Hi @tonydow, you can definitely delete and recreate the gallery page with a different image. However, you should still be able to delete and replace the current image - the old one will not be visible to customers, but it'll still be visible to you within your image library. 

ink - 2020-11-27T094748.275.png

Tra
Message 10 of 20
Beta Member

Many thanks @tranguyen  I hadn’t noticed that option.

Tony

Message 11 of 20

I'm having this issue now.  Could it be that there is a file size issue of all the pics on in the editor?

I can't add anymore pictures to it.  I see little progress bars and green check marks but no image.

Thanks,

Dave.

Message 12 of 20
Admin

Hi Dave, thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having an issue. 

Could you send a screenshot? There are a few different queries on this thread and I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right one, thanks! @Quiltman 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 13 of 20

thanks Alegra.  Maybe no issue here.  I just uploaded a pic to the bucket of picture in the editor so probably no size limit.  

Just in case, can they be deleted?

image bucket.png

Message 14 of 20
Admin

Ah, apologies! Yes you should be able to remove any of them once you exit the screen you currently have open, and hoover over the images in the site editor on the left 🙂 @Quiltman 

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 08.41.08.png

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 15 of 20
Agency Partner

Is there a media library to the Square Online site? I want to remove some pictures that I uploaded in the site library, which I am not using any more and are overloading my library.

I am having trouble finding a way to delete them.

Is there a way to delete pictures that I don't use?

Thanks

Message 16 of 20
Admin

Hi @vission_arch, thanks for your post! I've merged your post into an existing feature request thread for this feature where it's being tracked for our Product Team.

At the moment, while you can delete an item image, it is not possible to delete an image from your site's gallery. 

I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Tra
Message 17 of 20
Agency Partner

Hi @tranguyen 

Thank you for your assistance! 

Sure, I would be excited to try out new features on the Beta Community, thanks. 🙂

Kristin

Message 18 of 20

I have the same problem , loads of images I don't need anymore, surely there will come a time when I have no space available and will need to clear out the trash

Message 19 of 20

Hi, has this been resolved? I am currently having issues with trying to load a background image to the Home Page Banner and it keeps freezing. I have finally gotten in there and there are now multiple photos of the same image. How can I delete this in the 'My Images'?  Its in the same section as the My logos, Premium photos and Instagram.  I can't find an option to delete any of the duplicated images or the ones I don't want to use as they don't look good.  Thanks

Message 20 of 20