x

Does Square refund processing fees if I refund the customer?

I have read through many (many!) posts about testing the full process of the site ... placing an order as a customer, receiving a confirmation e-mail, etc. 

Frequently, someone will say that newbies should simply place n order themselves and then issue them self a refund.

I know that Square charges a processing fee. I am also charging a service charge. If I purchase my lowest cost item ($9.00), I am charged a service charge of $0.56 ... so my credit card gets charged $9.56. Square then takes $0.58 and my store receives $8.98. So, I assume the balance in my Square account (which I have only found once ...) is $8.98.

So, if I issue myself a refund, would $9.56 go back on my card? Is the balance in my Square account now $0.00?

Thank you for your help.

Susie

Kansas  

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi Susie, welcome to Square! 

Yes, Square refunds the processing fees when you refund a customer. The easiest way to think about it is that you return what you received, Square returns what they received, and the customer gets every cent back. It's as if the whole transaction never happened. 

I highly recommend doing a test charge, it's the easiest way to see how the whole process works – and you can rest assured that you'll get all of your money back when you refund yourself. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi Susie, welcome to Square! 

Yes, Square refunds the processing fees when you refund a customer. The easiest way to think about it is that you return what you received, Square returns what they received, and the customer gets every cent back. It's as if the whole transaction never happened. 

I highly recommend doing a test charge, it's the easiest way to see how the whole process works – and you can rest assured that you'll get all of your money back when you refund yourself. 

Message 2 of 2