x

Does anyone know why my modifiers get jumbled around on the new Square KDS?

We use Square for Restaurants Plus. We tried the new Square KDS today (We normally use Fresh KDS). When tickets get sent to the screen the modifiers sometimes get mixed around on the item BUT they still print correctly on the physical kitchen ticket. We are a bagel shop that has many options for combinations of bagels and cream cheese and how they are prepared/what else is put on them. For efficiency purpose we really need them to pop up in the same order that I have programmed it to.

The wierd part is, it seems to be totally random how or even if they get mixed up.

For Example: If someone orders a Plain Bagel toasted with Strawberry Cream Cheese, it normally looks like this (modifiers in red)....

1 Bagel & Cream Cheese

-Plain

-Toasted

-Strawberry CC

With the new KDS, sometimes the cream cheese selection is first, sometimes the toasting option is first, and sometimes it's normal. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to how it rearranges it or why.

I'm wondering if there is a reason it is rearranging them or is it simply because it is a new system and still has some bugs to work out?

p.s. Before anyone asks, I am aware that the modifiers can be manipulated to print off in certain orders depending on requirement settings and how you label them; to reiterate, they still print on the physical ticket correctly and it does not do this in the Fresh KDS app.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out about this and I'm sorry to hear about your modifier troubles within Fresh KDS. I'm going to tag some of our restaurants Super Sellers to see if they have any experience with this.

@Donnie-M @bagelboss @JamesSandbar @londontea @MAXSDELI @MichiganFarmsta @pessosices @pieous @porktaco @vinesandrushes and @sugarlabs

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

@babeastlansing 

Hello, 

If this is a system issue, it has not been brought to my attention. As I have really given up on organizing my modifications as I have so many that intertwine with other different type of products. It would be nice if you could prioritize the mods per items but square still hasn’t moved that feature request up the pipeline.  
we use KDS for are service bar and the mods are pretty straight forward (not a lot of stacking)for most. 
but I will do a side by side of KDS to our stabbed checks to see if I see anything irregular. 

I’ll post after I dig in a little. 

James
Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

This sounds like a bug with Square KDS.  Maybe its the order the modifiers are chosen or Square is just displaying them randomly but it's definitely something that the dev team could put on their list of items to tweak.

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

Fresh KDS mimics your kitchen printer very effectively and that is why you won't see this on the KDS system from square. 

I am not sure why the square kds system would be changing the modifier order compared to the tickets.  The 2 systems use very different approaches to showing your checks on the screen.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 5