x

Entering Multiple Taxes that can be selected

NY State is a pain, seeing as tax isn't set based on the state, but by the municipality. So I might drop off work in a county or jurisdiction that is 8.325 vs 7% in another.

Is there a way to create the taxes I need, and then to be able to select the correct one via the App at time of sale? I tried creating taxes in the dashboard, but it seems that it added ALL the taxes I made to a sample order I tried with myself...HALP

Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can edit the tax before or during each sale right from your Square Point of Sale. To edit taxes from the app before a sale:

- Select the three horizontal lines in the navigation bar.
- Hit Settings > Tax.
- On Android devices tap Create Tax, on an iPad, tap Add a New Tax, or on an iPhone, tap the + icon. To modify an existing tax rate, tap it.
- Enable the new tax, add or edit the tax info, and make sure to apply the tax to applicable items.
- Tap Save when you're finished. 

If you are already in the sale: 

- Select "Current Sale" 

- Tap "Tax"

- Click the red circle to delete the tax that you no longer want. 

IMG_9269.png

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

I can't believe it's not even on a roadmap.

Square would be a great solution for restaurants who have expanded their offerings to include grocery items, but in areas where there are different tax rates for cooked food vs groceries (for example) the inability for the new Square Online Store (Weebly) to apply the same sales tax rules as Square POS makes it a complete deal breaker.

Science On Call
24/7 tech support for restaurants
call or text 312.521.0016
scienceoncall.com
Message 22 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @scienceken - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us.

And thanks for checking in on this thread. You are correct - the ability to reflect automatically the same tax rules that you've set up within your POS setup still remains a Feature Request. While I don't have an accurate timeline to share as to when this will come down the pipeline, we will continue to update this thread as we have more information to share.

Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 31

Thanks, @Joe for reading my post and giving an update. I understand that applying different tax rates is not the most exciting feature request, especially since this scenario only affects a subset of your customers.

Unfortunately, as time is ticking on old-style squareup.com stores and you're forcing everyone to the Weebly-powered square.site stores, this oversight is leading us and others in our shoes to consider leaving Square for more amenable platforms altogether for both POS and e-commerce. We could be more patient, but our hands are being forced!

Science On Call
24/7 tech support for restaurants
call or text 312.521.0016
scienceoncall.com
Message 24 of 31

We appreciate your honesty here, @scienceken. We understand that our Sellers need to do what is best for their business, and we will always stand behind that. 

We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business. Hopefully we will have a positive update regarding this feature in the near future.

Joe
Message 25 of 31

Hi Joe,

I would like to elevate this problem too.  Most bakery/cafe owners have a two tax situation.  One tax being on bread/baked goods and one on tax being on prepared foods, like sandwiches, salads etc. 

Also many franchisees in our national brand subscribe to Square and have gone online with COVID, using the Weebly/Square product.  Please see if your developers can elevate this issue for the many out there using your products AND trying to navigate uncertain times in the restaurant/food service industry.

Thanks

bakerswife

Message 26 of 31

Hi there, @bakerswife 👋 Really appreciate you adding your voice here and giving specific context as to why this feature would be beneficial for your bakery. 

I am passing your feedback along to our Product Teams, now. Should anything come down the pipeline, everyone here will be updates ASAP. Thanks, again! 

Joe
Message 27 of 31

We would like to echo the importance of this thread as well.  We have 2 taxes.  They need to be listed separately, and the second does not apply to all items.   We started weebly with square back in March, and are realizing we have to go back through all sales and refund part of the tax for many of the sales!   We need to be able to do this easily, or a workable work around, or this platform will not work for us in the future.  Any suggestions for a work around? 

Message 28 of 31
Beta Member

We here at Alloy Brewing would also like to chime in.  We actually have three taxes - sales tax, a county transit tax plus an alcohol tax.  This has made our tax reporting so much harder over the past couple of months as we transitioned from just a store based model to curbside pickup. The dashboard is under-reporting the taxes we've collected and we've switched to a completely manual calc.  Suddenly, something that I used to be able to just pull from the dashboard takes 30 minutes to check and double check to ensure the right items are accounted for.  Not sustainable long-term.  

Message 29 of 31

You are joking about the ability to deal with sales tax by locality right not even being on the road map - right?

Your company is based in California and literally every community has a different sales tax rate.

Message 30 of 31
Beta Member

Checking in on this feature again.  The tax options should mirror your point of sale options.  We've been closed for everything but pickup which means all of my sales are going through my online store again for the foreseeable future.  I see hours spent unwinding the taxes and lost revenue as your options do not allow me to collect the correct amount.  Please consider adding this to your roadmap. 

Message 31 of 31