x

Gift Card Promo: How do I load card for 100 & charge credit card 80.00?

Gift Card Promo: We’re selling 100.00 gift cards for 80.00 for Black Friday. How do I load card for 100 & charge credit card 80.00?

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Awesome promotion @ShopTakara! For in-store Gift Card sales, you can set up a discount for either $20 off, or 20% off and hit that anytime you ring up a $100 Gift Card. There's no way to do this automatically as far as I know, but the manual discount is pretty easy.

If you're selling eGift Cards online, which is super easy to set up, you can now set up an Automatic Promotion or a manual Promotion Code to do your Black Friday Sale.

We do both, and they work really well!

Hope this helps,

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Awesome promotion @ShopTakara! For in-store Gift Card sales, you can set up a discount for either $20 off, or 20% off and hit that anytime you ring up a $100 Gift Card. There's no way to do this automatically as far as I know, but the manual discount is pretty easy.

If you're selling eGift Cards online, which is super easy to set up, you can now set up an Automatic Promotion or a manual Promotion Code to do your Black Friday Sale.

We do both, and they work really well!

Hope this helps,

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 2 of 15

Pesso - When setting up the eGift card promo for the minimum load amount, do I put the discounted value or the original price?  In other words - does the discount come off the minimum load?

I'm selling a special package that is $20 off if that helps.

Message 3 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

So the Minimum Load Amount would be the lowest value gift card that you would want to discount. So if you do eGift Cards in values of $15, $25, $50, and $100, but you want to encourage higher spending, you can set your promo minimum load amount at $25 so that if they buy $15 gift cards, they won't be discounted.

You can see more at:  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6000?utm_medium=web

So if you're doing $20 off $100, put the minimum load amount at $100.

Hope that helps!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 15

Thank you Pesso - helps me too! 🙂

Message 5 of 15

Indeed it does help! I appreciate your responding to my SOS. 

Thank You,

HAPPY SELLING 

Message 6 of 15

@pessosices 

If the Gift Card is issued at the total value, Square is not discounting the Gift Card value like it would if it were merchandise. So, where does Square put that discount? If I export the Transaction Report, where will I see that Discount amount?

This is what I am visualizing:
Gift Card $100     I have $100 Gift Card & $80 Tender...where is the $20 posted by Square?

less 20% ($20)

Tender $80

VS

Toy $100               The discount is applied to Toy & I have $80 Toy & $80 Tender

less 20% ($20)

Tender $80

We are just venturing into issuing Gift Cards for donations and the like. Nobody has indicated that they had any problems with this but I would love an explanation before we proceed.

Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

@HeatherS Square is discounting the Gift Card Sale, but the total value goes to the customer. The discount reporting is under Gift Card Discounts, not a discount in the Category of purchase of redeeming the gift card (toys, etc.).

If you go into your web dashboard, go to sales reports, discounts, and then you'll see a little report chart there - if you hover your cursor in the top right corner of the report chart, there will be a little Plus Sign to add/change columns of the chart. There is a column for Gift Card Discount # and Gift Card Discount $ Amount. That's where these discounts show up!

Screenshot:

Screenshot 2020-02-20 11.50.21.png

Hope this makes sense, let me know if I completely misunderstood your question~!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 8 of 15

I was just trying to figure this out for my store as well. So to confirm, if I want to discount a $200 valued gift card to a purchase price of $99 (not any other value) I can put a minimum purchase amount at $200 and then the discount at $101, correct? I just want to be sure this doesn't make them pay $200 for a card worth $301, make sense? Thank you for your help!

Message 9 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Yup that should do it. With those parameters if they buy a $200 gift card, it will only charge $99.

That being said, they can also do any amount over $200 and it will subtract the $101

So it would also be the case that if they buy a $301 Gift Card, it will charge them $200

Hope that makes sense!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 10 of 15

Good info. I am considering using the gift cards, and occasionally run promotions like this, so this info was quite helpful. Thanks everyone 

Message 11 of 15
Beta Member

I would like to offer a 'bonus' on purchased gift cards: purchase a $50.00 gift card and receive a $55.00 gift card.

If that isn't available, can I give away a gift card?

Message 12 of 15
Super Seller

Hey @rogernowland 

Gift cards can accept discounts just like any other item can. Ring the card for $55, have a $5 GC discount ready to go.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 13 of 15

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: gift card bonus

I want to sell gift cards for $80 that customers can redeem for $100 in merchandise. how do I do this without having to show that $20 gift as income to me?

Message 14 of 15
Alumni

@OklakeLarry - Thanks for posting in the Community!

For plastic gift cards, @pessosices's got you covered on this thread. For egift cards, set up a promo on your egift card site. This Product Update post goes in detail. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 15