x

Gift Card permanently linked to loyalty account?

I recently had a customer pay with a gift card and it remembered his loyalty account from his previous purchase. The transaction was enough to empty the gift card so I kept it. Typically we reuse gift cards after they've been emptied. My concern is that if I reissue this gift card in the future, it will still be associated with his loyalty account and the original customer will be earning rewards rather than the new customer.

Is there any way to verify if this is the case?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Happy to offer a long overdue update here! When a gift card reaches a $0.00 balance, we will automatically disassociate any Loyalty account (since we know it makes sense to reuse gift cards). If you clear a balance, that will of course still disassociate any accounts, as well. Keep the feedback coming - we appreciate it and love making these sort of commonsense improvements!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 27 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Can I set up multiple domains pointing to the same site?

Message 22 of 30
Admin

Hello @ppl! Take a look at @Joe_'s workaround on this thread. He points you and others in the right direction when it comes to setting up multiple domains pointing to one site. 👍

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 23 of 30
Alumni

Hi @mitu315 - thanks again for your patience! I heard back from our product teams and can confirm that we automatically unlink phone numbers from gift cards once the balance reaches 0, which is why you don't see the "clear balance" button. 

Message 24 of 30

I recently had a customer call because they were getting email receipts from us on things they never bought.  Turns out, it was a gift card that was originally theirs and then it was reused for another customer.  When the new customer shopped with us and used the gift card, the email receipt was going to the first customer since their email was still linked with the card.  How can I unlink that original customer from the gift card?

Message 25 of 30
Admin

Hey @evergreen, thanks for flagging this and sorry for the confusion this caused. You customer should be able to stop the unwanted receipts by clicking on "Not Your Receipt?" — more details on this here: Incorrect Receipts. If that doesn't resolve this issue, please let our Support Team know. They'll be able to get to the bottom of it.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 26 of 30
Square

Best Answer

Happy to offer a long overdue update here! When a gift card reaches a $0.00 balance, we will automatically disassociate any Loyalty account (since we know it makes sense to reuse gift cards). If you clear a balance, that will of course still disassociate any accounts, as well. Keep the feedback coming - we appreciate it and love making these sort of commonsense improvements!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 27 of 30
Super Seller Alumni

@Sean Amazing! This is a hugely helpful feature! Thanks for making it happen and updating us with it

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 28 of 30

Ok ok . I like this. So just to make sure, as long as WE (seller) don't clear the gift card balance, it will still be attached to the customer loyalty account right?

Where could I learn how to clear the balance of a gift card? (just to learn). I like the idea of using the gift cards as "rewards card"

Message 29 of 30
Admin

@JorgeDominguez

Here is a bit more information on how to manage the gift cards and if View a Gift Card’s Transaction History, the option to clear balance will be available.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 30 of 30