x

How can I customize the information collected at the time of a sale/donation

Hi, our 501(c)3 organization collects donations, membership fees, and other fundraising and donate back to our local high school athletic department.  How can I collect customer (member/donor) information AND their student athlete's name, grade (Fr/So/Jr/Sr), and sports played.  This information we use in statistical analysis and marketing campaigns.  Thank you for your support...

By the way, we love Square!

Steve

Message 1 of 42
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Thanks for the love Steve!

There are two easy ways to collect customer information at the time of a sale, you can either add a note to your sale or add the customer into your Customer Directory right from your sale. 

Both will allow you to add customer information to your sale but there are a few difference. Your note will show on your customers receipts and in the Item Details csv. While your customer directory will not display on your receipt, you are able to export your entire Customer Directory

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 42
Square

Best Answer

Hi @theallico (and @cutandpaste)! You should take a look at Jotform -- it's a custom form builder tool that allows you to create all the custom fields you need your customers to fill out, and then accept payment directly through the form. I believe you can embed it on your site, or send it via email to your customers/donors. Best part is, they allow you to use Square for your Jotform payments processing! So all your Jotform payments would show up in your Square dashboard too 🙂 Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

No, Square could not give me the functions I need. We are not going to use Square for our online store.  My website developer is using an option in WordPress.

Message 22 of 42
Admin

Thanks, @marisa_a! 😊

@theallico and @cutandpaste, if marisa_a's suggestion helps with your custom fields needs, would you mind marking their reply as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and we'll continue to track this request. Thanks! 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 23 of 42

Thanks for this response - if a customer adds info in the note section, what is the best way to retreive this information?

Message 24 of 42
Admin

Hey @gregoryilmpta, welcome to the seller community! It looks like some others brought up this question in this thread: View the information entered in the Notes field. Have a look at the reply marked as "Best Answer" and let us know if that helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 25 of 42

Hi, I've been searching through the threads and haven't been able to find an actual answer. We use the online store to allow parents to purchase care packages for students. They enter their student's name and a personal message in the "Notes" section of the checkout screen, but we can't figure out how to actually view those notes. In what screen/tab are the customers' input to the "notes" section in the online store visible?

Message 26 of 42

Hello @Sjohn

When you sign onto your Square Dashboard head to your Online Store tab. Once you've selected your location you should be on the Orders tab for the Online Store. Click on the customers name and a pop up will appear on the right side of your screen. Inside this new window you'll see the notes your customer left you! 🙂

Please let me know if you still have questions. 

Message 27 of 42

Hi Kelly, The note field is fine if the customer wants to let us know something but doesn’t really work for us. We are a club and you must be recommended by a current member to join. When a new member buys a membership we need a mandatory field where they would enter the sponsors name. I use your store to keep it simple and we cannot afford to buy separate forms apps so we can add one field. 

Message 28 of 42
Alumni

@PeteG The notes field is your only option right now. Square does not offer a mandatory field feature. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 42

If you add a note to the transaction how do you pull up notes in a report?

Message 30 of 42
Admin

Hello! If you add a note to a transaction from the Point of Sale app you can see those notes in Item Detail CSV report. To download this report:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Transactions > click Export > select Item Details CSV
  3. A CSV will download to your computer and you can see notes in the Notes column.
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 31 of 42

I'd like to add this suggestion to the product feature request list.  Please allow us to specify any entry fields as "required".  This is a pretty basic component of web form development and submission.  Currently we have donation processing where people aren't required to enter their names or contact info.  So people give money and we don't know who they are if they don't fill out the name field!

Message 32 of 42
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Allow required fields

Thanks for sharing this request @ambor, I will surface this to the Online Store team. 

In the meantime I've moved your post to this thread so you can see Best Answer and replies from our team with current workarounds. I hope this is useful in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 33 of 42

We are a professional association that sells membership and registration for events. When customers purchase on our website with their credit card, we need additional information from them, such as the name of each member, their title, the organization, etc. Oftentimes the person making the payment is an admin assistant, and their name and email doesn't correspond with the people who are purchasing the membership.

Is there a way for us to add fields for this on our products? I have tried using JotForms or another form integration, but there isn't a way to sync the existing products I've created in my Square account. I want to be able to see the data in the transaction history in Square.

Message 34 of 42
Admin

Hello @chespra! I've merged your post into this thread so you can see the ongoing discussion about this. Currently we recommend using Jotform or another eCommerce integration if you need to gather specific information from your customers.

It sounds like you might be referring to the fact that sales from JotForm come through as uncategorized sales? This happens because Square's eCommerce API only syncs inventory and processes payments when you use an integration, like JotForm. This means you'll see 'custom amount' in your Dashboard rather than the sales tax and the item price. 

GoCentral does have itemized transactions but I'm not sure how much you can customize the the fields at checkout. There's more information here on GoDaddy's website. I hope this is helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 35 of 42

Does Square have any intention on adding a customized field? This seems a bit ridiculous that this popular request is several years old. It's getting to the point that between this request and the lack of Square's ability to send the same invoice to multiple customers (membership renewal, etc) it may be time to look for a new solution.

Message 36 of 42

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Enhancement request: A way collect additional information for orders in the online store

Wish there was a way to collect additional information for orders in the online store. For example, I need to collect their professional license number for the class they are ordering. I can see how this would be useful for collecting information on dietary restrictions, product preferences, or other info.

Message 37 of 42
Admin

@EmpoweRx We're tracking this request and have shared aworkaround in this thread. Thanks for letting us know you'd also like this and why! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 38 of 42
Beta Member

Any update?  I would really need to have a customer ender 5-6 mandatory customizable text fields and  drop down option fields. for individual items. Joma Shop is $$$$$$$$.  Wix store has a few optoins but not enougn

Message 39 of 42
Admin

@DCSPORTS

No updates yet as far as this feature is concerned, but it is something we are continuing to track. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 40 of 42

Still tracking this basic issue that was originally posted in 2016, eh?

I think there are 5-6 posts in this thread from Square CSRs about how the team's being notified, the issue's being tracked, etc. About asking a few questions on a form! This is basically a minor upgrade to the already-existing "customer notes" field!

I work in web development and I know what's involved here. It's more than meets the eye. But a motivated team knocks a request like this out in DAYS not years.

I dunno. I've seen Square sit on a few other simple requests in here for years on years. I wouldn't expect much, guys. What you see is what you get...!

Message 41 of 42

Why can't I add manual entry fields to my checkout screen (like PayPal does)?  If I want to collect specific customer information that cannot be put into a modifier, there is no way to do it.

Message 42 of 42