x

How can I see the name of customers whose card I swiped?

How can I determine the identity of my customers who swiped their card on my register?

Message 1 of 55
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@ScottGraham - In most cases, Square is able to capture a customer's name from swiped transactions (but not always). To see these details, you'd need to navigate to the individual sale from the Transactions tab of the Square Dashboard. Once you select a transaction, you can click the blue link in the bottom left of the receipt preview. This will open a full copy of the receipt. If these details were captured, you'll see them below the card type and last four digits in the bottom left corner.

Having said that, I would actually recommend using the Square Directory feature to link customers to sales by creating a profile for them. It is a sure way to associate a customer with each sale. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Hello @BayaniWarrior! Welcome to the Seller Community! 

I've gone ahead and merged your thread since this question has been asked before. I recommend taking a look at @Sean's answer on the first page of this thread. 

Also keep in mind if you manually keyed in the credit card information it won't pull the customers name. 

If you have any questions please let me know! 

Message 43 of 55

I looked at Sean's post before writing this. We have the same issue. Some cards that are swiped (we only use swipe, never chip nor manualy enter) show the name, some show as unknown.

Is there any way to predict when we need to separately capture the info? Adding as a customer for a one-time transaction seems tedious to me. Nothing beats doing nothing and still capturing the name. We do sometimes put the name in the note field but would prefer not to do that.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Message 44 of 55
Square Community Moderator

@sunangst Unfortunately there's no way to know if this information was captured aside from navigating to the Square Dashboard. 

The Customer Directory and adding a customer to the payment is the best way to make sure that a name is being applied to the transaction.

Message 45 of 55

Hi,

Is  there a way to match up a transaction to a customers name on an order form?  I appear to be missing 2 order forms and would like to eliminate orders to see exactly who I am missing! 

Thanks in advance!

Caryn

Message 46 of 55
Admin

Hi @CDHill! I'm adding your post to this thread where you can read the steps to view the customer name from the Transcations report on your Dashboard. If needed you can also search for a payment from your online Square Dashboard using the last four digits of the card. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 47 of 55

This comment was created from merging the thread "why can't connect name with transaction". 

Why doesn't square automatically match the cardholder name to the transaction?  Am I doing something wrong? 

Message 48 of 55

Hello @iapf!

I went ahead and merged your thread with this existing one. I recommend checking out Sean's answer on the first page of this thread! He goes over how customers names are captured on transactions. 🙂

Message 49 of 55

Hi Team,

I need a bit of help, I have multiple payments on one day and I'm finding it difficult to match them up with clients as square doesn't seem to give you customer name or any sort of identifying codes. Am I missing something

If I have three payments, I can't tell who they are from!!!

Ange 

Message 50 of 55
Alumni

If the a customer was not manually added to the sale using Customer Management, there isn't a way to identify who made the purchase I'm afraid. 

@Blushboudoirstu

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 51 of 55

I accidentally sent a payment through cashapp to the wrong person. The person is listed as a square seller. Cashapp does not allow me to view this person's name or information or even request the money back or contact them in any way. Is there a way that I can use the cash tag or name to find the seller on here? The name was Scott Sink $Sink

It was a $400 transaction!!!!! 😭😭😭 I'm so lost and hurt right now. Cashapp has been no help in recovering the funds and I am unable to contact the seller through cashapp. Is it possible to find them on here? 

Message 52 of 55
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @MissCaliPeach -

Sorry to hear about the issues with sending that payment over Cash App. 

I am not able to assist with Cash related questions here - but you can reach out to that team on their own Facebook page: squ.re/FBCashApp or through the app directly https://cash.app/contact.

Thank you

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 53 of 55
Beta Member

6 years and still not fixed !!!!!! what's with you guys???? 

Message 54 of 55
Beta Member

I actually know many businesses that are not signing up with square just because of this problem.

Message 55 of 55