x

How can I see the name of customers whose card I swiped?

How can I determine the identity of my customers who swiped their card on my register?

Message 1 of 55
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@ScottGraham - In most cases, Square is able to capture a customer's name from swiped transactions (but not always). To see these details, you'd need to navigate to the individual sale from the Transactions tab of the Square Dashboard. Once you select a transaction, you can click the blue link in the bottom left of the receipt preview. This will open a full copy of the receipt. If these details were captured, you'll see them below the card type and last four digits in the bottom left corner.

Having said that, I would actually recommend using the Square Directory feature to link customers to sales by creating a profile for them. It is a sure way to associate a customer with each sale. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Beta Member

this is not true.

Sean's answer is a lie!

"In most cases, [no its not true most cases it does NOT capture the customers name] Square is able to capture a customer's name from swiped transactions (but not always)"

again this is not accurate at all, it suggests that only a few in number will not capture but the truth is it hardly ever captures the name maybe 1 of 10 it will - that's probably the accurate number

this should be fixed ASAP. we waiting 6 years already.

Message 22 of 55

None of our online transactions are coming through with the cardholder name...there must be a setting that we can change to show this information, no??  Please assist. thank you

Message 23 of 55
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @PHM1

I have a couple of questions to get some more details on your situation, so I can point you in the right direction. 

Are you not seeing their information through the Online Store? 

Does any of the purchases require shipping or pick-up information? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 55

I have the same question: sometimes the customer's name doesn't show up on the receipt or when I click on the blue transaction link at the bottom of the receipt. If I forget to ask them their name, and it isn't on the receipt, how can I acquire it in order to credit their account at my business?

Message 25 of 55

In this case, Seller information that appears at the bottom of the receipt is provided by the bank itself and is not controlled by Square. The best way to capture customers' information would be entering their information at checkout either before or after a transaction. 

This can be found under More > Settings > Checkout > Customer management. 

Once there you will be able to see the option to be able to Collect information Before or After checkout.

I hope this information is helpful @beth_rhmg

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 55

Sean i made a transaction with out the customer having an acct, and was able to add their name on the transaction. But then I tried to find them under customers and they weren’t there . So I opened an acct o them but I cannot figure out how to move transaction over to the customers account

Message 27 of 55
Beta Member

this is not an answer. you should at least make some effort to understand the question before you answer.

of course we know we can make a profile for the customer! you think we stupid? we using square for years. 

of course the question is why square doesn't automatically capture the name on the card like every single dingle other merchant does.

Message 28 of 55

Hey there @Sgotesman, I appreciate you reaching out and following up on this. We know how important certain features are to business needs but in order to protect customer privacy Square will not automatically save their information. I personally would not feel comfortable using a payment processor that allowed that and didn't provide me the option to opt in myself. This is why we have the option instead to add a customer profile and add the sale to the profile.  We completely understand having customer information is helpful but at this point, this isn't going to be something Square will implement. You can submit a feature request on the Ideate Board where the Product Team can track the request. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post (squ.re/Ideate-Commuity) from one of our Seller Community Moderators. Thank you again for providing this feedback and input! 

Message 29 of 55
Beta Member

Seems hypocritical to say Square doesn't collect customers names for privacy whilst my customers regularly question me as to how they can be texted a receipt from us without them giving us their phone number (ie it was pulled from a previous purchase via Square but with a different vendor). Wouldn't sharing phone numbers amongst Square merchants without explicit customer permission also be an invasion of privacy?

Message 30 of 55
Beta Member

Wow yes didn’t think of that so right . Also email addresses many times come up automatically, and my customer asks me “hey how do u have my email/phone number? “

Message 31 of 55

Did you update the reports - we could never determine what credit card/sale went to which person. This is an issue because we sell items at a show - so could have 100 items at $197 - and no way to trace which charge goes to what person.  Need name card# amount 

I hope this is in here now because my partner wanted to leave but I love your simplicity. 

Message 32 of 55
Square

Hi @innersurf— It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the "Best Answer" on page one of this thread. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 33 of 55

I did a search on best answer and couldn't find an answer to my question. Can you provide a direct link to it like you did with my thread? 

Message 34 of 55
Square

@innersurf - Here is the direct link. It covers the process of how to save a customer to a transaction for future reference. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 35 of 55

Every credit card processor I have used shows the name on the credit card on the receipt. Square does not unless I've done something wrong. We are a non-profit and have hundreds of donors. We need their name so that we can match it up with their donor data so we can thank them. Signatures are often unreadable.

Message 36 of 55

Hello @Maxgaia and @Suzamac. I'm sorry no one replied back to you @Suzemac. 

I merged your thread into this one, because we had a similar question earlier. I recomend taking a look at Sean's answer on the first page. 

Message 37 of 55
Beta Member

are u still using square and this is still a problem correct?

Message 38 of 55

why is there no answer to this? I have same issue

Message 39 of 55

All of our transactions are coming up with our name as the customer, not the real customer.  We are swiping the cards using the Square Reader.  Is there something else that we're not doing correctly?  This is a big source of frustration that we'd love to fix. 

Message 40 of 55

Hi @aircraftmaint

That sounds pretty strange.

Where were you seeing this happening? Your customers names should appear for you in your Transactions tab when you click on a specific payment. 

Clicking on a specific payment brings up the payment details side screen, and your customers name should appear next to "Paid By".

If you're not seeing this, we might have to have you call in to our Support Team, as we can't really help with account and transaction specific information through the Community since it's a public forum. 

Message 41 of 55

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can't Find Names of Customers”.

Hello. I am running through my sales this year and there are a number of sales in which the names are missing. Is there anyway to find out the names through the credit cards that were used? It doesn't seem that I have the names of the people saved as Customers, but I do have record of their transactions. How can I find out their names through the transaction? How can I look up the name on the credit card? Thanks!

Message 42 of 55