x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

I don't see a way to add this to my square app for in-person sales. I was able to add it on the site, but it's not showing on the app.

Message 211 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @mfjcreative

When you're adding a surcharge for your in person transactions, you will set them up as a "Service Charge". Use this Support Article to get it set up. 

Give that a look and let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to circle back, if needed. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 212 of 260

I saw that as a new feature and will check it out.  My issue is as a Sightseeing boat the Admin/Service fee is only added to food options.  But then we want an Admin/Service fee to ALSO be charged the whole invoice when paying for a card.  Is there a possibility of this?

Message 213 of 260

Hi @buffaloharborcr,

Service charges can't be applied to Square Invoices at the moment, but you could consider creating an item to account for your admin fee when sending out invoices. Please let us know if this could be a workaround for your business! 

Message 214 of 260

We are a retail store with also a custom furniture side. Im in Delaware (tax free) and wondering

how to add amount on custom work. when amount is high in retail store and/or custom build. id rather throw the cc charges back to customer. I saw the tax add in this thread. but wondering how that works when state is tax free?

Message 215 of 260

Hey there, @AtticsofMyLife

You can create one of those taxes to add a charge you wish. I know it shows as a tax, but other sellers have used it creating a type of surcharge. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Message 216 of 260

ive tried this, but when i click SERVICE CHARGES, it takes me back to my summary screen. kinda lost here.

thanks

Message 217 of 260

I don't sell retail items, but services.  I have set up my "tax rule" to have my clients pay your fee - I would like to see a flat fee per transaction amount instead of line amount.  I would also like to see a way to delete the tax for clients who pay by check - this is one hot mess to work with otherwise.

Message 218 of 260

Appreciate the question @FTLMessengers - 

I moved your post to a thread where service charges have been discussed. Check out the Best Answer by Isabelle for more information on setting that up. It looks to be what you're looking for. 

You have the option to remove the tax in the app using these steps. If you use the Virtual Terminal on your Dashboard, you will simply uncheck the box of the tax you want removed. 

App:

1. Add Item(s) to the ticket

2. Click Current Sale 

3. Click the Tax

4. Click the red "X" on the right to remove it. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Message 219 of 260

I'm able to create the service charge (%) but am unable to add it as a button on our POS for Square for Restaurants. How can we do this?

Message 220 of 260

Welcome to the Community, @MomonaChico

I want to gather some more information on how you set up the service charge to make sure I am heading in the right direction. 

Did you want the service charge on a specific item or the entire transaction?

When you created it, did you do this through your Dashboard? If so, you may need to log out of your device and back in so it can update. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 221 of 260

Hi Kassie 

We are still looking for multiple service charge options (ex: we would like a 6% default added to each transaction but on occasion we want to select a 20% service charge). Please allow us to select from multiple service charges. 

Message 222 of 260

@Barceloneta

You can create as many service charges or taxes as you need to. They can be added to specific items or categories, so they are automatically added to the transaction. 

Or you can add them directly to the transaction you wish. 

Check out more information about Service Charges, here. Another option would be adding Sales Taxes instead. 

Kassi
Message 223 of 260

You can create multiple auto gratuities? I do not see this feature within the service settings. 

Message 224 of 260

Hey there @Barceloneta, stepping in here for @Kassi_ while she is away.

Just to help clear up some info here, in reading your example above, you would not be able to toggle between various service charges at point of sale.

Once you create them within your settings, that is how your customers will be charged at check out. There is no feature that allows you to toggle between different ones.

What Kassi was referring to is that yes you are able to create multiple service charges, but they will all show up at check out. You can not choose which ones to add at check out.

The only work around I can provide is that you create these charges as an item then apply them accordingly. Not sure if that works for you but you can test it out 😊

Frida
Message 225 of 260

Thanks Frida. I can see how multiple auto gratuities could be helpful given that there is no option for a default auto gratuity that can be overridden with a variable gratuity on checkout. 

Message 226 of 260

@Barceloneta Absolutely! I'll be sure to flag your feedback to our product team as well. You never know when this can update in the future. 😊

Frida
Message 227 of 260

Was trying to implement Service Charges to offset the square fees and pass those charges to the buyer.  Because these charges are by % and by $ value I created four service charges.  Here is why:

Local service charge 1 for 2.6%   - This is needed when purchase is done via Square Terminal.

Local service charge 2 for $0.10  - This is needed when purchase is done via Square Terminal.

OnLine service charge 3 for 2.9% - This is needed when purchase is done via Web remotely

OnLine service charge 4 for $0.30 - This is needed when purchase is done via Web remotely

Was able to associate the OnLine service charges 3 and 4 with On-line purchases that are done from Online checkout links that I have setup for the items in the library.  So far so good. 

I see the charges added to the items that are ordered on-line.

Issue 1:

I cannot find a way to associate Local service charges 1 and 2 when the item is purchased locally using the Square Terminal.  I can add the service charges manually but would like these service charges to be added automatically same as when these items are purchased on-line.

The issue I see with adding manually is that when you tap on Service Charges on Square terminal I see all 4 service charges and one has to be careful and add only those that apply (only 1 and 2).  Is there a way to hide service charge 3 and 4 from square terminal since they are not needed for local purchases?

Issue 2:

While the service charges are added automatically for "Sell item" category, they are not added to "Ask for donation" or "Collect a payment" forms that you create on online checkout panel.  How do I associate service charge 3 and 4 with these forms?

Issue 3:

After service charge 3 and 4 were automatically added with the on-line test purchase I did I see that the math is wrong. I bought 3 candles, $1 each  I expected that the fees (2.9% +0.30) would be compensated from the service charge 3 and 4 that I build and would see a deposit of $3 in the bank. Instead I see a deposit of $2.99.

On transaction view from square dashboard I see this:

Why is square charging 3% and not 2.9% as the API says in the bottom?

square-receipt3.png

I called support yesterday and today but they were not able to provide any solutions for any of the questions.

Does anyone know the answer to these?

Thank you in advance.

Message 228 of 260

Is there a way I can charge a fee as a percentage of each sale for customers who use credit/debit cards so I'm not losing money for credit cards processing fees? Is rather the customer assume those fees rather then me.

Message 229 of 260
Super Seller

Hi @Tonyramos71 

Have a look here on how to enable and setup surcharges.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 230 of 260

Things are tight for restaurants these days and I get offers every week from other services offering to process your credit cards at NO COST TO YOU!  What they are doing is passing that charge on to your customers. No big innovation or secret.  

Is there a way to do this in Square?

"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon
Message 231 of 260