x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

Square needs to add an option to pass card payments to customers. It is behind the times. Most other pos providers have this feature.

Message 190 of 260
Super Seller

I assume you mean the fees associated with credit card payments? Or, are referring to a different feature?

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 191 of 260

I added a surcharge under my tax category for the credit card fee. I was noticing a discrepancy on my "Taxes" link on Square (Click reports and then "taxes").  At the top of the page, there is one amount under "Taxable Item Sales", and then in the other area with "Taxable Item Sales", there is a different amount.  I called Square to figure out why since I don't want issues with paying the wrong amount in sales tax.  She couldn't figure it out, but I just did, and I'm concerned.  This discrepancy will happen when you have a reseller paying with a credit card and you remove the tax on their items, but leave the surcharge for the credit card use.  Because my surcharge is listed under the tax category on Square. Square will add the total amount under the Taxable Item sales, and will not put it under the non-taxable sales, even though no tax was charged (just the credit card fee).  So, I have been paying sales tax on items that resellers were purchasing if they were using a credit card to pay for them.  

For those charging the credit card fee, and you put it in as an added tax, may want to take a look at this.  

Message 192 of 260
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 193 of 260

Does this work on my website? I don’t do sales in person, only from my online website.

-Christa Salem
Message 194 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hey @kenzie6488,

Thanks for writing back into the community 👋

At this time, this can't be added to Square Online. We'll pass this feedback on to the team for consideration! 

In the meantime, you could adjust your prices on your site to factor in fees. 

Message 195 of 260
Super Seller

Did this go through beta testing first? Great feature, I wonder if there is more coming or sit it wasn’t fully thought out before implementing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for iterative development and don’t think perfect is a thing before launch. shoot for that and we’ll never get new things. 

For instance franchise or multi-location brands don’t always have the ability to adjust pricing to accommodate thuggery costs. But, they can add service fees. Menu pricing isn’t always the first place to go for solutions. 

Thanks for the update and what appears to be a strong step in a good direction. Looking forward to what comes next. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 196 of 260

Wouldn’t I then need to have 2 prices for each of my items, since the percentage taken is more for online purchases than in person sales?

My organization sells tickets for events, and although most of our sales are online, there are some in person sales at the box office, too. Other sites are making it much easier to pass fees along to our customers, and we likely won’t do as much business with you until this feature is available.

Message 197 of 260

Hello, @ICantori

We appreciate your feedback and understanding if our platform is not suitable for your business at this time. Take a look at more details related to Square and surcharge rules here. In your case you would need two different rates for the same item as the processing fee will vary. 

Feel free to request this feature in our Ideate board here. Our product teams have greater visibility on these boards and would love to hear how this feature can help grow your business. 

Have a good day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 198 of 260

Did you end up finding another site that you are using for event tickets that allows you to easily set up fees?  Let me know. I am looking for the same thing.  Not finding that I can do it with square.

Message 199 of 260

Thanks for the update. I'm having trouble applying the service charge. I created the charge, updated the app on all my devices and cannot find the service charge on my item list. Is there something else i need to turn on or activate?

thanks 

Message 200 of 260

I followed the steps, but can’t locate the “surcharge,” to use it. 

Message 201 of 260

Is there a way to charge surcharge on the total sale including taxes?  Currently the surcharge setup is only capturing the sub-total before taxes.  Also any way to prevent someone from applying a Debit Card when a surcharge is applied?  

I read a convenience fee has to be a flat amount based on offering a different form of payment outside of the regular business accepted payments.  Whereas surcharge can be percentage on total sale.   

It would be nice just to have a option that tallies the charge on transaction equal to what the merchant charge would be, or passthrough the cost.  Bonus would be only adding the surcharge if paying by card, otherwise other payment options not applied.

Message 202 of 260

please help. I added service charges, and that works when we invoice people, and I set up service charges on my checkout links, however it will not apply to sales made from my website. How do I set it up to add service charges to sales made from my website?

Message 203 of 260

Not sure if it relates, but from the accounts & settings, business, service charges.  Make sure you have the 'automatic apply to online orders' enabled.

Message 204 of 260

Thankyou. I don't have that option to apply to online orders. Am I missing something? 

Message 205 of 260

From the primary home button, you are in account and settings, business, service charges....if you edit the service charge it should be present.  If not, maybe create a new service charge which could make the option available. 

Message 206 of 260

that didn't work either. I do have the "automatically apply to online orders" enabled, and the fulfillment options are: pickup, self serve, and delivery. But when people pay, it doesn't add the service charge that I put in. Darn.

Message 207 of 260

It seems like you've done your fair amount of troubleshooting on this one @thewholehorse 

If you haven't done so yet I would suggest reaching out to our Support team for them to investigate what could be going on. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 208 of 260

Can we please get the option to create processing fees abs apply them through the appointments app? We don’t use the POS system at our register anymore because we primarily are a service business and can ring up multiple staff members on one appointment for a single customer so commission splits correctly without multiple transactions through the appointments app so that’s what we use on our registers now. However, the processing fee function only works on square POS system app 

Message 209 of 260

Hi @palehorsetattoo. When using the Square Appointments application on your register you still have the ability to charge a processing fee. Check out the Best Answer on this thread for the steps to get this implemented for your business. This will have to be done in the Dashboard, instead of the app. Please let me know if you need me to circle back or you have any other questions. 

Message 210 of 260