x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259
Beta Member

Wow!  This was super-helpful!  Great explanation.

Message 64 of 260

Can I get the steps to do this so I can just press one button at the transaction time 

Message 65 of 260

How do I add this at the end steps please

Message 66 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Craw - I am not sure if I am fully understanding your question, here. Would you mind clarifying? Are you wanting to add a surcharge button for 2.75%?

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 67 of 260

Is there simply a way to disable the pay now button option on the invoicing app? That will solve the cash payment issue. When it comes to eft it's easy to just add the surcharge on (for me) as my prices are all streamlined for my service.

Message 68 of 260

This post is really helpful but I see it was posted in 2016.  Anyone have a current calculation of this example?  Thank you!

Message 69 of 260

How did you calculate the 2.75%? If the fee is 2.6% + .10c. Trying to figure out the formula to get the 2.83% so I can do the same for other fees like the 3.9% + .30c.

Thanks!

Message 70 of 260

@bg5 Have you been able to see Isabelle's new announcement thread? Those steps and video should help you along the way! 

AshleyK
Message 71 of 260

I see the video show how to create the service charge. How do you apply the service charge to a transaction??

I've updated the pos app on all my devices and cant find it anywhere.

thanks for the help

Message 72 of 260
Alumni

Once you create a service charge, you can apply it to transactions from your Point of Sale:

1. Open your Square Point of Sale, and select a service charge from your item list on the Checkout screen. You can also choose a service charge from your favorites page if you saved a service charge there.

2. Toggle on the service charge you want to apply to that sale.

The applied charge will show as a service charge line item on the current sale.

Let us know if you still aren't able to apply a service charge, @CafeRico ️ 

Valentina
Message 73 of 260

I’m not seeing in my items list. Will it be in a different section like discounts? 
thanks 

Message 74 of 260
Alumni

Have you already created the service charge by following those steps?

If so, please include a screenshot here so we can take a peek, @CafeRico!

Valentina
Message 75 of 260

I took photo of he settings where i created the service charge and then screen shot my item list on the ipad

thanks for your help.v

IMG-3842.jpgIMG-3841.jpgIMG-0293.PNGIMG-0292.PNG

Message 76 of 260
Beta Member

How would you do the 2.9% plus .30c fee? I dont even know how you calculated the 2.83%

Message 77 of 260

Hi @Spencerhusak - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Due to the way that the processing fee is calculated, there is no way to calculate the fee exactly for the surcharge. The best way to ensure that your surcharge is correct would be to round up or down and charge that percentage.

I hope this helps. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 78 of 260

I found a good way of charging. I charge $1 fee for credit cards $15 or under. It covers all the fees for the day. I let customers know that there is a $1 charge for credit cards $15 or under and they do not care. I also do delivery but I don't charge the $1 fee on credit cards for delivery because they already a delivery charge. The delivery charge covers those fees.

Message 79 of 260

How do I add an automatic surcharge?

Message 80 of 260
Admin

Hi @Sugarplum — thanks for bringing this up! At this time, there isn't a way to automate a surcharge with Square Register. In addition, it looks like another seller had a similar question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Sean and let us know if that helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 81 of 260

Is there a way to charge your customer the processing fee?

Message 82 of 260

Yes. 

I just add add another tax 3.25%, label it as “CC convenience charge”

apply to all items. 

Go to square dashboard, in Items/taxes/ Dine option,

relabel Dine In/Out as Cash/ Credit Card. 

Set variable to apply CC surcharge tax to only CREDIT CARD. 

In ipad, when a customer checks out at the top of the items there’s an option to swipe cash/ cc

Message 83 of 260

The reason we put 3.25% is because tax is applied to the subtotal, before the sales taxes price and it covers square fees without ya losing money 

Message 84 of 260