x

How do I add a surcharge to a sale?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

How do I add the fee to the customers bill?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 260
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news! We launched a 'Service Charge' feature in the US! Check out more information here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 193 of 260
259 REPLIES 259

I have a brick and mortar location where I use square exclusively.  I am opening a second location  in a booth inside another location where I will pay rent and they will deduct 15% from the sales.  They will also pay the taxes.  I am wondering how I can integrate that into my current square account where I track my inventory. 

Message 169 of 260
Admin

Hi @littlelarkok! Congrats on the second location. 🙌

Sounds like surcharges could work for you. As stated in that thread, you'll definitely want to talk to a tax or legal professional before you implement them.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 170 of 260

How do I add the transfer fee to customers total??

Message 171 of 260
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Connie4,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been asked/answered already.

Check out the Best Answer and following posts in it for more details. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 172 of 260

How to add the square fee to the transaction (2.6% + .10)? So the customer pays for these fees.

Message 173 of 260

Is it possible for to assess transaction costs to the customer?  I am referring to the transaction costs arising as a result of paying via a credit card. I am trying to have these fees added to the invoice.

Message 174 of 260

Hey @naeemakhtar,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller asked the same question.

Check out the answers within this thread for more details. 

Ashley C
Message 175 of 260

I want to charge a convenience fee for using the square network. I normally add .50 to each sale. I manually add this by adding to price of product. Is there a way to automatically add this to whole sale and not each individual item. Also as far as taxes go would it be taxed and if add  10% to my sale for local tax will it be added to overall sale or attached to each item.  I guess what I am trying to say is I want to add .50 to each overall sale and I want the taxes of 10% to be added to overall sale and not as individual items unless only one item sold. Is this possible?

Message 176 of 260

Hey @Ameliasbows -

Welcome to the Community! 

I moved your post to a thread where Surcharges were discussed.

Check out the Best Answer by our Joyful @Joe on how to get this accomplished! 

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 177 of 260

Can you setup an invoice to automatically add the fees to the client?

Message 178 of 260

Hi there, @trichat09 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding charging surcharge to your customers. Take a look at this Best Answer here - it should provide the context you need for next steps!

Let us know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Joe
Message 179 of 260

How do I apply a surcharge for ONLY credit card transactions? 

Message 180 of 260

Hello!

I love using square but I am thinking about moving to a card service that put the card fee on the guest instead of us paying pre transition. Is there a way to do this with square ?

Message 181 of 260

Is there a way to charge the customer a fee for using credit card to offset the fees we are charged?

Message 182 of 260
Beta Member

Yes there is! and it takes 3 steps:

• From your desktop, log into your square account, select 'Items' icon from the left menu, open up 'settings' by clicking on it, select 'Dining Options'.  You can create your own dining option by editing or just turn on Credit and Cash.  Turn all others off if you do not need them.
  • Select 'Sales taxes' from the left menu.  Click 'Create a tax' in the upper right corner.  Name this tax 'Card Processing Fee' or whatever appropriately describes this tax/fee.  Add the percent to be charged.  Select 'Add tax to Item Price'.  Turn on by clicking 'Enable Tax'.
  • Next section down, create a tax rule.  I call mine 'Cash Sale'.  Name whatever appropriately describes the rule.  Under 'DO NOT APPLY TAX' click 'Select Tax' and select the Card Processing Fee tax set up previously.  Click Select Tax to close the pop-up.  Select your location(s) in the same manner.  Under 'WHEN DINING OPTION IS:' select 'Cash.  Finally, select if the rule applies to all items or just certain ones.  Use the Select All button at the top to select all at once.  Click 'Assign Items.
  • Click 'Save to save the Tax Rule.

From your POS device, go to settings and turn on the newly created tax.

Now go to the checkout screen.  If in landscape view, you should see the default dining option (mine is cash) near the top right.  Swipe the option left or right to change.  (This is why I instructed to turn off all dining options you dont use) The tax will automatically apply. 

**Be sure to select the appropriate dining option BEFORE finalizing sale.

Note:  If you need to charge local and/or state tax PLUS cc fee, create a rule that combines all taxes & fee and use that one instead, for credit card sales.  You can create different taxes and just turn on the ones needed.  I travel around the US so my tax is different at every event.

Message 183 of 260
Super Seller

I've not needed this feature so haven't learned much about it. This allows for passing card fees for in-person transactions in the store. What about online/app transactions? Does it allow for the higher online surcharge to be passed on to the customer when an employee isn't manually selecting the dining option? Basically, is there an "Orders" dining option that would apply the surcharge along with taxes to customer-generated orders?

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 184 of 260

Interesting. But how do you tell it to distinguish between payment method. If they use the pay now function on an invoice. It's a different % to of its using an eft card, which is different to if it's manually entered credit/debit card.

Message 185 of 260

Welcome back to the Community, @Hodgsons_snakes

Normally, you can setup a surcharge for those different methods of payments. This route might get a little messy or confusing. 

In my experience, other sellers will just set one to use for all transactions. 

The set-up is entirely up to you. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 186 of 260

Hi,

I need to add a surtax to items sold online that will ship to specific counties in Florida. In addition to the state sales tax. 

Message 187 of 260

Does the automatic tax calculator include these surtaxes?

Message 188 of 260
Admin

Hey @ObscenicAtelier. Check out this thread I moved your post to. Some sellers above share how they've set this up. Just make sure your state allows for these surcharges first!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 189 of 260