x

How do I cancel my Square account?

How do you cancel your account?

I have read multiple places that you can do it from your dashboard, but I don't see where on the dashboard you can do it.

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

@GeorgiaDNR we're sad to see you go, but understand if Square's not for you.

You can deactivate from the Square dashboard. Go to the Account & Settings page and then scroll down. At the bottom you'll see "Deactivate Account": 

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.32.51 PM.png

There is more information about how to deactivate your account in our Support Center. Let us know if there's anything we can do to keep your business, or if you have any questions! 

View Best Answer >

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Alumni

Best Answer

@GeorgiaDNR we're sad to see you go, but understand if Square's not for you.

You can deactivate from the Square dashboard. Go to the Account & Settings page and then scroll down. At the bottom you'll see "Deactivate Account": 

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.32.51 PM.png

There is more information about how to deactivate your account in our Support Center. Let us know if there's anything we can do to keep your business, or if you have any questions! 

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 25

I do not see a deactivate link anywhere.

Message 3 of 25
Admin

Hey @DLF928, sorry for the confusion. If you're not seeing the option to deactivate, please get in touch with our Support Team directly — they'll get this sorted out for you as soon as possible.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 25

Deactive my account asap and destroy my social security number in your files too. There is no deactivation link what kind of fake web site business is this? 

Message 5 of 25
Admin

Hey @philbona, sorry for the frustration. If you're not seeing the option to deactivate your account, please let our Support Team know. They'll make sure that everything is closed out properly.

We aren't able to take account actions from the seller community for security purposes — thanks for helping us maintain your privacy.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 25

If I move to a different POS like Toast and I've unsubscribed to all the Square subscriptions like payroll, loyalty and marketing, do I need to also deactivate my account?  Is there anything that square will charge me for if I just keep my account open just in case I decide to use it for something else like invoicing or random payments?

Message 7 of 25

how do i deactive the sign in and password right after deactivating is done?

Message 8 of 25

Thank you for the instructions. Now i have deactived my account but how do i delete the log in email and password?

Message 9 of 25
Admin

Hey @ccbarista, sorry for the confusion — I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. Regarding deleting your email and password, we aren't able to access and share account-specifics in our online forums. I would suggest getting in touch with a member of our Support Team — they'll be able to take a deeper dive.

For general details on account information, have a look here: Square's Information Collection Policies. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 10 of 25

How do you issue a refund after you canceled square

Message 11 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Djohn09!

Did you deactivate your own account? Our Customer Success team would have to help you make it active again to get back in there to issue a refund. Then you can deactivate it again. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 25

I put two accounts under one Square card. One is for my business and the other I was setting up for another business that I oversee, but did NOT want it attached to my account. Hopefully I can deactivate the one I don't want on my personal account and start over (need to purchase their account and didn't realize that  as I was easily adding it 😞

Message 13 of 25

close square up account.  I do not want it.  Do I have to send back that chip?

let me know that it is closed.

Message 14 of 25

I have tried to follow ALL instructions to close and get refund for an account I opened YESTERDAY and cannot close my account as It says it will.

Message 15 of 25

Hi @Author2,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about the trouble. 

Have you started a Square Online subscription, or another subscription e.g Square Appointments? 

Message 16 of 25

I don't see a 'deactivate your account' option.

Message 17 of 25

Thanks for posting, @mddross2 

We have a guide, Deactivate Your Square Account, which will go over important steps to take when you are deactivating your account. 

Note: Once deactivated, you will not be able to reactivate your existing account. You will need to create a new Square account should you decide to begin using Square again.

Please make sure you’ve exported all the necessary data prior to deactivation. Once ready to start:

• From the Square Dashboard, go to Account & Settings > Business information
  • From the About my business tab, select Deactivate business
  • Select your reason for deactivation and click Continue
  • Enter the verification code
  • If you have 2-Step Verification on your account, your verification code will either be texted to you or you can use your authenticator app
  • If you do not have 2-Step Verification on your account, your verification code will be emailed to the email address associated with your Square Account
  • Confirm deactivation by selecting Deactivate

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this, or run into an error trying to deactivate. 

P.S. It's always sad to see someone go, but you are always welcome to return should you ever decide you want to use Square again. Best wishes to you ❤️

Message 18 of 25

If you choose deactivate account, can you get a refund? The email attached to my account was cancelled last year so I can't even access any communication from square. How do I go about cancelled my subscription?

Message 19 of 25

I went to the same direction, and I do not see a deactivate account..

Message 20 of 25

I did to desactive my account but when my information is clear 

Message 21 of 25