x

How do I get a free magstripe card reader?

I was giving a Free reader after filling out my information and it showed me a list of stores to get one but how to I get it free at a store? Do I need to wait for a email with a code?

Message 1 of 54
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We'd love to get a free card reader in your hands! If you're new and haven't ordered a free reader yet you can get a Square reader from a retail location near you. The $10 you spend on a magstripe reader will be reimbursed as a $10 credit to your account when you redeem a code after purchase.

If you don't need the reader right away, you can also order one from your online dashboard or the app and it will arrive within 10 days. For step-by-steps, visit this Support Center article.

Hope that helps!

Update 2018: If you've already signed up for Square and received one free magstripe reader, you can order additional magstripe readers for $10. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

I just signed up and am supposed to get a free reader( mag stripe). However Square wants to charge me $10.00 for it. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help. Thank You!!

Message 43 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hey @DrVent,

I moved your post to one of the existing threads where this question has been answered already.

Follow the steps above and make sure you're logged into your new account + have never had an account with us before for it to show as free once you select > Checkout.

If for some reason you do all that and it still asks for card information- please contact our direct CS team to have them assist you in ordering one. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 54

How can I receive a new magnetic strip card reader

Message 45 of 54

Hey @AngelMixcoatl, Square only sends one free reader. Feel free to purchase a new reader in our online Square shop. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 46 of 54

I just got this yesterday and it said something about a free square. Im not sure if it was sent because it never asked for the adress. My question is, has this happened to anyone else?

Message 47 of 54
Super Seller

I would go into your dashboard, into the hardware section and see what happens if you were to choose the option of getting a square reader. 
If that seems like it is going to make you pay and you signed up for a free one than perhaps somebody else in the community has a better answer!  

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 48 of 54
Super Seller

@AngelMcKown-IBC ;

You should receive a free Magnetic reader when you sign up for Square, or at least  when I signed up they were free.  You had to tell them your address and the model you wanted.  Reason being they plug in to your cell phone or tablet, and are determined if an android or Apple product.  Now Android has stopped having a headphone port and went only Bluetooth for head phones which has caused problems with the Free magnetic readers for Android users of newer phones.  This is a community forum and we can not see your specific account information so it might be better if you contact support.  They might be able to look into your account and say yes we did not send you one yet because you did not supply the model you prefer, or it was shipped but appears lost in the mail, or its on back order.  Here is Squares Support number [Redacted].   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 49 of 54

Hi @AngelMcKown-IBC - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

As @Candlestore mentioned above: in order to receive a free Magstripe Reader, we'll need you to place an order first. It seems to be a common misconception that the free reader is sent automatically, but we need to know which type of reader you need and the address you'd like it to be sent to before we can ship out a reader. 

If you are unsure of whether or not you've already placed an order, please check your email inbox. Once you have successfully placed an order for your free reader, you will be sent a confirmation email with an order number. If you never received an email like this, we'll still need you to complete the order first.

Please try the following steps to order your Square Magstripe Reader:

1. Go to squ.re/ReaderRequest
2. Select "Send me a reader"
3. Select Connectivity (headset jack for Android devices, lightning connector for Apple)
4. Complete the checkout process. The $10 off discount will be applied at checkout.

If that doesn't work, please let us know and we can help you with placing the order from our end. We'll just need you to contact Support in that case so they can pull up your account and then place the order for you 🙂

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions by replying to this thread!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Message 50 of 54

I just signed up for my Square account, and it keeps telling me to redeem my free reader.  However, when I go through the checkout process, it's still asking me for credit card information so it can charge me the $10.  I don't see a discount applied anywhere.  How can I get the free magstripe reader, please?

Message 51 of 54

Hello @kittenkazoedle- Welcome to the Seller Community!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble order our free Square reader. When you have a chance, please try ordering this way: http://squ.re/readerrequest > "Send me a reader" > Select Connectivity > complete checkout process. Make sure you get to the last page of the transaction and that you are signed into your account.  If that doesn't work, feel free to send a private message our way via this platform so we can get help you order a free reader. 

Thank you. 

Sayra
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 52 of 54

Thank you for your response, Sayra.  I do not see a "Send me a reader" option on the page you linked (it just redirects me to https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware), and I went all the way through to reviewing my order, and it's still charging me $10.

Message 53 of 54

@kittenkazoedle - We would be happy to send you a free reader. Please be on the lookout for a private message via this platform to gather shipping details. 

Have a good day. 

Sayra
Message 54 of 54