x

How do I put custom items into categories

I created a whole bunch of items into invoices as custom items and now they show up in my reports as uncategorized and i need to put them into categories and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that!! Help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @whsmith831,

When creating an item, you can add a category to make it easy to filter by category when running reports or exporting information about your items. See here for more on inventory management.

I assume you added categories when creating items in your Square Dashboard? Which report are you specifically trying to run? A quick example would help.

Message 2 of 8

Hi Matt

TY! what is did was create an invoice and type in a bunch of custom items.. and now when i go to run a report on sales all those invoice items come up as uncategorized but they belong in categories I have in my existing square category list.

I can't figure out how to assign these items in the invoices to categories so i can show accurate sales by category.

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for clarifying the process you took, @whsmith831

New custom amount items that are created at the time of Invoice will show up as uncategorized within your reports. Sales completed by Invoice should be assigned in Category Reporting if the items involved have been assigned a category before the completion of the sale - otherwise they will appear as uncategorized. Unfortunately, there is no way to assign them after the sale has been completed. Were categories assigned to your items beforehand?

I will keep an eye out for your response! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

nope. 😞

Lesson learned

Message 5 of 8

Ah, I see. So sorry for the trouble! Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance with category settings next time around. We are here to help! @whsmith831

Joe
Message 6 of 8

So if you add a custom item in an invoice, then save the invoice (payment not processed) how do you categorize the custom item?

Message 7 of 8

Hi there, @DebbieJ - at this time there is no way to categorize custom amounts. You will need to make the amount into a formal item and select a category for it to be categorized in reports. I hope that helps!

Joe
Message 8 of 8