x

How do I refund a customer?

how do one refund customer back his money

Message 1 of 78
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Its simple! You can refund a customer from your Square Register app or from your Square Dashboard. 

To refund a payment from your Square Dashboard:

• Click on the payment you’d like to refund, then click Issue Refund at the top right corner.
  • Enter the amount you’d like to refund and the reason you’re refunding the payment, then click Issue Refund.

To refund a payment from the Square app:

• Tap the three horizontal lines > Activity. 
  • Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment. 
  • Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > Issue Refund.
  • If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund.
  • Select a reason for the refund > Refund.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 78
77 REPLIES 77
Super Seller

@quantumhypnosis the first thought I have is that you are outside of the refund window.  there is a limit of 120 days to issue a refund directly to a user's credit card.  You could issue the refund to a gift card instead.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5615-refunds-faqs

Message 43 of 78

Hello one of our employees overcharged a customer $800 on a transaction

The customer is from Australia and is using a "cash card" so it's not connected to an actual bank

The app and the website won't allow us to refund the money saying they need to contact their bank but it's not really an option so don't know how to proceed

Please help thanks

Message 44 of 78
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @annieshotdogs - Welcome to our Seller Community.

We’d be happy to help and provide some clarity. In this case, you should be able to process a refund as normal, as long as the cash card is not a prepaid card of some sort there is no reason why the system should not allow you to do this. We recommend giving our Support Team a call to take a closer look at the transaction and help you further. 

If you were able to successfully refund the card please let us know. 

Thank you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 45 of 78

how do i give client a refund?

Message 46 of 78

how do i give a client a refund

Message 47 of 78

@pete7383, check out Kelly's answer in this thread! 

Message 48 of 78

How do I refund an invoice that's been paid already

Message 49 of 78

Hey @1Trueelegance, I moved your post to this thread, because we had a similar question. 

Please check out Kelly's answer at the top. The process is the same for invoices. 

Message 50 of 78

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “The $1.00 walk through test transaction won't refund to my credit card. Any suggestions?” 

The $1.00 walk through test transaction won't refund to my credit card. I am being instructed to use a gift card. I don't know anything about those either. This was just a test transaction to be refunded. If it goes to a gift card how is that supposed to work for my bookkeeping? 

Message 51 of 78

I had a customer come in that was charged the wrong item on the previous day.  How do I go into Square to do a void or refund on a previous day.  Is is just a payout?

Message 52 of 78

We processed a transaction through our browser via Virtual Terminal oa few days ago. We might have to void or credit that transaction. How do we do that?
What fees will we incur? I assume the 3.5% will not be charged to us but we probably have to pay a small transaction fee.

Message 53 of 78
Super Seller

Message 54 of 78

Hi @GPS-Robert

The post by @VanKalkerFarms is correct, as we don't charge for refunds. The full amount is always sent back to your customer. 

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that walks you through the refund process on the Square Dashboard. Check out the Best Answer and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Message 55 of 78

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "how do I refund a recent submission?" The author has been notified via email.​​​​​​​

How do I refund a recent submission?

Message 56 of 78

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: myrakirkland

How to give someone a refund after 24 hours and money has been put into my checking account?

Message 57 of 78
Super Seller

Message 58 of 78

hOW TO REFUND PAYMENT FOR CONTRACT THEY FIND WE ARE UNABLE TO DO?

Message 59 of 78

Hi @804096

I moved your post to a board with similar questions. Check out the Best Answer by Kelly on the first page of this board. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 60 of 78

HELP! I need to refund a transaction but the tab/button that issues the refund is not live on my screen and will not respond when I press it. Does my account need to be reset or something? I am new to square and did something wrong in my first transaction and it was placed under review, after the review I was told I can refund it but the tab button won't let that happen. Please tell me what to do.😨

Message 61 of 78

Hi @Islandhi and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread on how to issue a refund.

It sounds like your app could be glitchy. Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it or trying to issue the refund from the Online Dashboard

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Message 62 of 78

😀OMG! Thank you! I took the steps you gave me and it worked immediately using the online dashboard. Now I will reload the app so hopefully this won't happen again. BIG Cyberhug to you!🤗 Thanks again.

Message 63 of 78